216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

And you are also correct in saying its an average use. I averaged 130:1, the weather was good so I went faster.

which you could argue makes the etec cheaper to run than the 4's

The sum could read

100hrs @ "X" Litres fuel per hr
    divide fuel used by 100:1
    divide fuel used by 130:1
    divide fuel used by 150:1

which ever you prefer

100 hrs being the service interval for a 4 banger x 3 services + filters + oil + cost of 1 major service (this includes 2 DIY services)
    an etec is 300 hrs = 1 service + oil used.

adjust this to suit guys

someone get back to me as all available memory has been used

Which motor? None of them they are all shit.

This is the only motor worth considering...

http://seven-marine.com/

Mine will be arriving next week, it is going on my 4.2m Quinny Dory. Should squeeze a few extra knots out of it.

Jesus...mate thats some engine...

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

This always ends up a etec vs 4 stroke fight LOL.... so im gonna throw my 2 cents in . A pro friend of mine has just swapped over from the ETEC 150 to the Honda 150hp (finally seen the light) and for a morning and afternoon fish he would save $50 dollars in fuel with the Honda, so work that over 2 weeks at 8hrs per day which is 112hrs, now $50 dollars per day for 16 days is $700.00 saving compared to the ETEC! Even if you put a basic service in that as your doing Clean water running, the cost between the 2 are not even close. And please dont run the 300hr service stuff cause if thats what you do, dont do a service for 300hrs its no wonder so many etecs are blowing up . So IMO a 4 stroke is definatley the choice of engine.
    Cheers
    Matty

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post

This is the only motor worth considering...

http://seven-marine.com/

Mine will be arriving next week, it is going on my 4.2m Quinny Dory. Should squeeze a few extra knots out of it.
    Makes you wonder why though doesn't it??
    Why not just go inboard and be done with it?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post

hahaha, yeah right. hope you got your wetsuit on.

Quote Originally Posted by business class View Post
    This always ends up a etec vs 4 stroke fight LOL.... so im gonna throw my 2 cents in . A pro friend of mine has just swapped over from the ETEC 150 to the Honda 150hp (finally seen the light) and for a morning and afternoon fish he would save $50 dollars in fuel with the Honda, so work that over 2 weeks at 8hrs per day which is 112hrs, now $50 dollars per day for 16 days is $700.00 saving compared to the ETEC! Even if you put a basic service in that as your doing Clean water running, the cost between the 2 are not even close. And please dont run the 300hr service stuff cause if thats what you do, dont do a service for 300hrs its no wonder so many etecs are blowing up . So IMO a 4 stroke is definatley the choice of engine.

Lets face it Matty - the ETECs end up in the work shop well before 300 hrs - so they get their service done then

Chris

PS - sorry guys (Etekers) ..... I couldn't help myself
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have fun selling your E-tec when your done with it, you better hope that you want another one. Many places wont even trade one in. My outboard Mech refuses to even work on them.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ok 7 Marine, seeing as you guys are so smart, lets see if you can build a 90hp engine that weighs less than 120kg, if thats too easy try and do it in a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Have fun selling your E-tec when your done with it, you better hope that you want another one. Many places wont even trade one in. My outboard Mech refuses to even work on them.
    Oh my, better get rid of mine today.. What do you recommend & ill get it !

Mark if I were you I would drive it untill it dies. Should get pleanty of hours out of it if you look after it and service it like a normal engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Ok 7 Marine, seeing as you guys are so smart, lets see if you can build a 90hp engine that weighs less than 120kg, if thats too easy try and do it in a diesel.
    Why on earth would they want to do that
    First motor they come up with and it has 557 ponies, to me that is outstanding

7 marine. So it is a horizontal mounted crank? How do they get the power to a vertical mounted gearbox ? Cut gears, belt ? chain?

I hate the sound of a gearbox that has a clutch that can be electronically controlled to allow slip to troll slower.

With such a huge investment whan buying a boat to deal with a company unless it has massive financial backing could well leave you with something you can't get spares for.

Wonder what props they will run.

Will wait to see proper test results and ecconomy.

No reason you couldn't put a little turbo diesel in the same place as that v8 for commercial and millitary if they have really built a strong box/ drive combination.

If you can afford this and a boat big enought to put it on who cares about economy?

I'll post figures anyway for the 557hp Dory once Ive mounted it and done a few trips. I'm not expecting any great savings over the old 25 Merc but it may suprise- I'll keep you posted.

No reason not to replace with a little TD? I'll give you one- the sheer panty dropping magnetism of a trobbing V8- make that 2, I've decided to go tandem!

lots of etec bashers out there get over it find something else to talk about.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"