216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

The thing is if you don't run genuine etec oil in your etec then you get problems, or so i'm led to beleive. Genuine 4 stroke oil is a crock of sh!t. It's easy money for the engine manufacturing companies. There are many, many oils out there that will suit a 4 stroke outboard perfectly, generally at around half the price of genuine too.

This being the case...

If what Nagg says is true - (not doubting you mate) and his mate uses around $780 of oil a year based on 10 hrs a week - roughly 500 hrs a year then that is 5 services on a 4 stroke a year.

Parts for a 4 stroke service.
    Non Genuine Oil $30
    Oil Filter $30 - Depending on manufacturer it may only get changed every 200 hrs or whatever their specs say

Total = $60 x 5 times a year = $300 Vs $780 for 2 stroke oil alone

If you can't change the oil or filter in a 4 stroke outboard then you have a bit on IMO

This is just a comparrison on oil change vs oil consumption from what i know and have read on this thread.

Regards,

Lachie

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    I think if I was putting 5000 litres of fuel in my boat a year I wouldn't be whinging about 50 litres of oil . either way it is not exactly average usage

You're probably right - except that means buying a US gallon + of oil every 4 refills ...... @ approx $70 a gallon .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

the e-tec can run on standard oil if you so wish, but why would you? yep, it is all too expensive, but if you do lachie1 sums using genuine (as the e-tec is using) the cost is 3 times that, and where do you get a genuine filter for $30? plus the labour from the dealer to do it, as I said way back, I do agree with what you are saying, all I say is the difference (for an average person) is not an issue, and indeed is pretty close to being even, when you add up running cost and servicing and so on as a "total cost of ownership".

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie1 View Post
    The thing is if you don't run genuine etec oil in your etec then you get problems, or so i'm led to beleive. Genuine 4 stroke oil is a crock of sh!t. It's easy money for the engine manufacturing companies. There are many, many oils out there that will suit a 4 stroke outboard perfectly, generally at around half the price of genuine too.

This being the case...

If what Nagg says is true - (not doubting you mate) and his mate uses around $780 of oil a year based on 10 hrs a week - roughly 500 hrs a year then that is 5 services on a 4 stroke a year.

Parts for a 4 stroke service.
    Non Genuine Oil $30
    Oil Filter $30 - Depending on manufacturer it may only get changed every 200 hrs or whatever their specs say

Total = $60 x 5 times a year = $300 Vs $780 for 2 stroke oil alone

If you can't change the oil or filter in a 4 stroke outboard then you have a bit on IMO

This is just a comparrison on oil change vs oil consumption from what i know and have read on this thread.

Regards,

Lachie
    nobody would be that stupid to clock up 500 hours on a 4 stroke and not get a proper service done so the tappets and timing belt get changed and adjusted if you put this into your sums then they are pretty much equal .
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You're probably right - except that means buying a US gallon + of oil every 4 refills ...... @ approx $70 a gallon .

Chris
    yep that is right he has to buy it every 385l of petrol or every 40 hours . Chris I just didn't like they way it was portrayed that if you own an etec then you will have an oil bill of $780.00 a year .when the reality is that when services and fuel and everything else is taken into account then the etec is pretty much on a par with other motors . the HO etec also uses more oil than the ordinary model I have been led to believe .

nobody would be that stupid to clock up 500 hours on a 4 stroke and not get a proper service done so the tappets and timing belt get changed and adjusted if you put this into your sums then they are pretty much equal .
    That's why i said it was - just a comparrison on oil change vs oil consumption from what i know and have read on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The oil burn equates to 1% (1lt / 100lt of fuel)

Chris

Hence the name XD100.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the e-tec can run on standard oil if you so wish, but why would you? yep, it is all too expensive, but if you do lachie1 sums using genuine (as the e-tec is using) the cost is 3 times that, and where do you get a genuine filter for $30? plus the labour from the dealer to do it.......

Well if i had an etec i would run the genuine oil in it cos as i said earlier i've heard it can cause problems if non genuine oil is used... I was also saying that genuine 4 stroke oil is just an easy way for engine manufacturers to get more money. Your 4 stroke outboard won't suffer if you use the correct non genuine oil either. i.e obviously putting gear oil in an engine is not ideal.

Oil is a big money maker... Don't get me wrong. Genuine oils are needed in some cases, but not others .

Labour wasn't taken into consideration either as it is really a very simple job

Last filter i bought for a 4 stroke was $33.

Not starting a sh!t fight here guys just trying to put some numbers up

Cheers,

Lachie
    Last edited by Lachie1; 25-02-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

yep that is right he has to buy it every 385l of petrol or every 40 hours . Chris I just didn't like they way it was portrayed that if you own an etec then you will have an oil bill of $780.00 a year .when the reality is that when services and fuel and everything else is taken into account then the etec is pretty much on a par with other motors . the HO etec also uses more oil than the ordinary model I have been led to believe .
    Just shared a point about HO's - If you go by the hype , it is made out that ETECs use little oil but in the HO's case it does use a bit ..... that was my point. I was quite surprised when I was told how often oil was bought

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie1 View Post
    Well if i had an etec i would run the genuine oil in it cos as i said earlier i've heard it can cause problems if non genuine oil is used... I was also saying that non genuine 4 stroke oil is just an easy way for engine manufacturers to get more money. Your 4 stroke outboard won't suffer if you use the correct non genuine oil either. i.e obviously putting gear oil in an engine is not ideal.

Oil is a big money maker... Don't get me wrong. Genuine oils are needed in some cases, but not others .

Labour wasn't taken into consideration either as it is really a very simple job

Last filter i bought for a 4 stroke was $33.

Not starting a sh!t fight here guys just trying to put some numbers up

Cheers,

Lachie
    Personally - I think it is a great idea to learn how to change the oils (sump & gearbox) ........ I've done it a couple of times now & have pushed my services back - It saves me around $500 every 2 years.
    I do the same with my Prado avoiding a 5000km oil service every 2 months - around $900 saved pa
    Both are reasonably simple and takes maybe an hour

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the e-tec can run on standard oil if you so wish, but why would you? yep, it is all too expensive, but if you do lachie1 sums using genuine (as the e-tec is using) the cost is 3 times that, and where do you get a genuine filter for $30? plus the labour from the dealer to do it, as I said way back, I do agree with what you are saying, all I say is the difference (for an average person) is not an issue, and indeed is pretty close to being even, when you add up running cost and servicing and so on as a "total cost of ownership".

Not sure what other dealers are charging but a genuine honda oil filter for 8hp to 225 is $18.12 inc GST
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

How much is 4L of Honda oil Gary?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    How much is 4L of Honda oil Gary?

RRP for 4L of Honda FCW Motor oil is $47.52
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by stue2 View Post
    Hence the name XD100.
    not correct the standard etec will use it at 100:1at full noise and as low as 300:1 at idle mine averages about 150-160:1 using xd100

[quote=STUIE63;1255881]I think if I was putting 5000 litres of fuel in my boat a year I wouldn't be whinging about 50 litres of oil .

Is this not 100:1???

and before you start most of the chat above is based around 100:1