• Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by propdinger View Post
    i have 2 suzuki 4 strokes one 200hp and one 60hp. the 200hp came about because of price and good rep. the 60hp came about cause of more cubic capacity (which makes it heavier than the yammy that came off)i needed more power to get the boat on the plan for my trips away. the yammy never broke down or cost a lot to keep running just not the right motor for the job. i personally think no matter the badge as long as you get a good run out of the engine its all you can ask.

jeff
    yeah for sure, i have a 25 year old mercury in line six that still is putting in the hard yards. its old, it's ulgy but still going. cant ask for much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, and on the e-tec used market, as a general rule they still command good money, it is mostly dealers and forums that are scareing the buyers, my mate just traded his 200HO for another one and got the deal he was after, priced a few other brands and so on, and settled on another e-tec, so they can't be all that bad (and I don't think they are)
    Hmm.. seems as though the etec cops a flogging anyhow.
    are the baggers just riding coat tails as past poles suggest that not all etec baggers ever owned etecs. They new somebody who had one blow up (could this be a double up)
    I have towed a few boats in in the past. never an etec. not yet anyway.
    My mechanic recons he does more repair work to Mercs. (not verados) with the electrics packing up.
    I had one of these and never got towed in because it was allways broken down before I went to sea

And yes My Vag (of not yet 12 month) does have two 90 etecs so I may eat my word.

cheers Stu

horses and coarses.

1st boat is the v-sea old style with a 90HP johno (1725cc block) V4 145 kg, a four stroke would be too heavy, same with merc opti, only options would be e-tec 145kg 3 Cly (1500cc approx), nearly went down that track a while ago but heard (and seen) too many bad reports and things. 90hp 3Cly merc 2stroke is 138 kg thats what i had on it before this one (1600cc approx block) but still old 2 stroke,
    yammie 90hp 3cyl 2stroke is only 122kg (1290cc block) but probably better on fuel than my current moter, but not as much grunt i would say. so to sum it up it is a bit of a battle which one i would pick. not sure wheather to trust e-tec, or just go yamie but its a lot dearer than the merc 2 stroke which will probably go harder.

2nd boat is a stessco 420 dlx skipper runaboat tinny with a 40 hp merc, the jap merc, but its just a rebadged tohatsu, its ok but my mates 40 yammy goes better on a 4.2 stessco catcher.for that boat where fuel is not much of an issue old style 2 stroke is good, light and fast enough a 4stroke would be heavier and more expensive, with not much fuel savings gain.

the 90HP 2 stroke Merc is a great motor, that was my second choice, the Yamaha is a real lightweight and performs well, but hardly a power machine compared to the big block Merc, in saying that, the 3cyl 90HP e-tec has got a rather enviable reputation for reliability and fuel consumption, you just have to get over the whole e-tec stigma thing, I looked at them, took one for a test drive and nearly went for it, but changed my mind a bit later on, and not for all the stories about them blowing up either, I never believed any of the crap!

after reading all the horror stories on etec and making $5000 worth of calls to mechanics all over the place I got it down to one consistent problem accosiated with 90 etec built before November 2004 I think.
    The problem was a faulty sensor in the oil sender that sounded an alarm that would turn off if you restarted the motor (most times).
    Unfortunately it seems that they would not cover the problem under warrenty if left too long. (read bad press)
    As you say Noelm, their enviable reputation for reliability and fuel consumption was also mentioned but 90% of the mechanics. Even the ones that didnt sell them said so.

My delema was etec of coarse and then twins all through what was read on this forum.

Noelm, Why did you change your mind?

cheers Stu

for a few reasons really, I had had lots of hours from a pair of HPDI engines (Fichts) and the technology, horror stories and operating principal did not worry me one bit, my main criteria was weight, I wanted approx 90HP a side so that sort of started the ball rolling, gathered all the weights of all the 90HP motors available, then got prices for all motors, then divided them into 2 stroke carby, 2 stroke DI and 4 stroke, then by cubic capicity, and kind of went from there, after lots of calls and test rides with mates and mates of mates who had almost every motor in the range, I had narrowed it down to two motors (well 21/2 actually) they two were Merc 2 stroke carby (biggest CC and very good price) and the Suzuki 4 stroke, 2 very different engines, about as far apart as you could get really! the 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke was a close third, light weight, but is a small capacity, and as dear as poison from all the dealers within a reasonable distance of me, so it sort of just "fell off" the radar. The end result was Suzuki 4 stokes for a few reasons, perhaps better resale (perhaps not) the 4 strokes tend to give a far better cruise speed, they do not die off and need a handful of throttle to get going again, then ease off, the Suzuki was the lightest 4 stroke in that HP, a Suzuki dealer is 10mins away, with 3 mechanics and I have dealt with them for ages, even though I don't think it is a big deal, but just turning the key to start has some novelty value, no warm up levers and chokes and stuff, perhaps better for long trolling days, better fuel economy than the carby model (but not the DI's), believe me the choice was long and hard, and it will take years and years (if ever) to make up for the extra cost in fuel, so as you can see, it was nothing to do with brand, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, perceived quietness, having to add oil, or anything else, it was a use/suitability/price/value for my dollar decision, whether I did my sums right or not will be seen in a year or two, I will post a proper fuel use and kind of "test" in a few weeks when I get all the electronics installed and working.

Well thought out Noelm. 90 etec is on the smaller end of capacity.
    I was driven more by location of the boat to buy rather than the motors although they became the subject of concern.

If I was to buy new motors now I would probably buy as you have but for the service man is too far away.

Another problem with the etec is they require there own sinthetic oil. Some have tried mineral oils which require a different mix rate and have damaged their motors. Damage that doesnt show for a while.

cheers Stu

the oil they use (XD100) is quite dear, but they use bugger all, my mate has one, and the oil use is not even a big part of the running expenses, plus having the bottle in the motor cowling with an external filler, makes checking and topping up a breeze, that was also a thing I looked at, and almost, if not all, the 90's had the oil bottle in the cowl. I would buy one if they fitted my criteria slightly better, but it is easy to say I guess, when it is your cash, you need to be 100% sure and 100% happy with what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    i have a 25 year old mercury in line six that still is putting in the hard yards. its old, it's ulgy but still going. cant ask for much more than that.
    A man with class.
    How can anyone knock the legendary Tower of Power's.
    Mines '78 model and I've had it for over 10 years and the only thing that has failed was the rectifier/regulator which was broken when we got it.

Just legendary they are
    Pity they don't still make them...that is for sure
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    If the above poll is any indication etec has taken a hit in reputation on this site...and no wonder. Maybe the yanks are more forgiving - I hope so for Evinrude's sake in terms of sales and having the $ for continuing development.

Cheers
    I would hardly call this poll an indication on Etec sales............................................. .................

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    I would hardly call this poll an indication on Etec sales............................................. .................

Mark
    Neither would I Mark...please read my post again and see that I didnt say that...I said etec seem to have taken a hit in reputation and was hoping for their sake that this didnt reflect generally in (prospective) sales. I am not going to edit my above post, because I think its pretty clear actually.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

How could i not read it correctly ? You refered to this site( poll) & its reflection on sales, from the outboard pi$$ing contests !!!!! So maybe the rest of the etec guys
    couldn't careless about a poll & didnt vote, cause i didn't ..

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    A man with class.
    How can anyone knock the legendary Tower of Power's.
    Mines '78 model and I've had it for over 10 years and the only thing that has failed was the rectifier/regulator which was broken when we got it.

Just legendary they are
    Pity they don't still make them...that is for sure
    There's a question I should ask about that motor and the attached boat Finga but I just can't think of it at the moment.

I still find ETECs the most talked about motor amoung my acquaintances ...... in a negative manner. A mate of mine made the same comment based on his contacts in the NSW trailerboat tournament fishing scene.
    a couple of years ago - you would have had strong debate over any negative comment about an ETEC ...... not so much now!

my thought on the etec thing is that , it appears that if you land a good one - Awesome!!!! - If not .... you have problems hanging out of your ying yang

Chris

PS as for Etec oil usage - a mates 115 HO goes through around a LITRE / week ...... $780 / year! (minimum)
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

[
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozscott
    If the above poll is any indication etec has taken a hit in reputation on this site...and no wonder. Maybe the yanks are more forgiving - I hope so for Evinrude's sake in terms of sales and having the $ for continuing development.

Cheers

Mark

quote=Mark-P;1255506]How could i not read it correctly ? You refered to this site( poll) & its reflection on sales, from the outboard pi$$ing contests !!!!! So maybe the rest of the etec guys
    couldn't careless about a poll & didnt vote, cause i didn't ..

Mark[/quote]

You have the wrong end of the stick Mark. If you dont like the poll thats fine, but you have mis-interpreted my post - deliberately so it now seems. I never said that this poll was an "indication of etec sales" nor implied that....what I said was that I hoped that the yanks were more forgiving that we seem to be for the sake of both sales of etecs (ie into the future) and the parent company having the money (from sales and expected sales) for product development - ie the development of a good idea and a good product into a better one.

Im not going to keep explaining my post to you Mark - it was self-explanatory and you seem intent to misinterpret in your haze of red over attacks on etec. So go hard mate, and I wont bother replying. Go and attack anyone who might have knocked them too, that might make you feel even better.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing