216 22.27%
  • Johnson

10 1.03%
  • Yamaha

332 34.23%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor Brand ?

Re: Outboard Motor Brand ?

kind of doubt I had a hand in the results, but if a similar poll was conducted on tackle, Shimano would win, by a country mile, Yamaha will win a motor poll (as it did) cars would be a Ford/Holden shootout with maybe Holden leading, 4X4 would be Toyota, bicycle components would also be a Shimano cake walk, hardware shops would be a Bunnings landslide, fast food would be Maccas, boats would be a bit tricky, being a tussle between Haines, Seafarer or Barcrusher, now I am not saying any of these manufacturers/suppliers do not make a decent product, but they are not head and shoulders above the competition, but why do they have the "name"? and such undying predictable loyalty? advertising? who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    kind of doubt I had a hand in the results, but if a similar poll was conducted on tackle, Shimano would win, by a country mile, Yamaha will win a motor poll (as it did) cars would be a Ford/Holden shootout with maybe Holden leading, 4X4 would be Toyota, bicycle components would also be a Shimano cake walk, hardware shops would be a Bunnings landslide, fast food would be Maccas, boats would be a bit tricky, being a tussle between Haines, Seafarer or Barcrusher, now I am not saying any of these manufacturers/suppliers do not make a decent product, but they are not head and shoulders above the competition, but why do they have the "name"? and such undying predictable loyalty? advertising? who knows?
    yeah i doubt it either. just being silly.

as for your question, dont know really, i guess every ceo of a company has asked themselves the same kind of question. my guess is a combination of being a longstanding company that keeps it head above the water in terms of r&d in competition to other brands, development of other business streams that excel such as in motorbikes and racing etc which us blokes love and shows the company is versatile and large, professional in your face marketing pitching best quality backed up by generally a good product that works and keeps people happy and creates a loyalty which in-turn spreads a good word.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    crikey, i've a top ender powered by mercury dragged by a mazda laiden with diawa gear with lowrance electronics...... lol (true) i'm stuffed !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djgtom View Post
    crikey, i've a top ender powered by mercury dragged by a mazda laiden with diawa gear with lowrance electronics...... lol (true) i'm stuffed !!!!!
    Just keep it all at home tom..you know thats the only option mate.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

The result does not surprise me ...... I bought my first yammi on the back of their 2 stroke reputation & the second on what I was hearing about the new DI 4 strokes - have not been disappointed either - therefore it would be hard for me to change & virtually impossible if it was going to be a 70 HP .
    I will say that I would be looking closely at a Suzuki if I was looking at a higher output motor........ If the cost was not going to be a major factor

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

IMO, different brands own different HP ranges ie make a better engine than the other in a certain range, this pole must be based on new bought motors as Johnson is non existant but 20yrs ago would be on top of the pole. 4 stroke 90hp i'd own a Suzuki, 2 stroke 70-90 Mercury for the extra power and grunt over the Yamaha, 115HP would be a Yamaha and even though same motor as the 115hp I'd own a 140 Suzi in that range. 30Hp 2 stroke would be the Yami 3 cylinder and same prob to 50HP 2 stroke. a Yami 4v Saltwater is my pick in the 115-130HP 2 stroke range, 175Hp suzuki, 250 Yamaha, and 300 Suzuki Lean Burn. Choice of Motor depends on HP rnage boat and budget
    Last edited by oldie; 22-08-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

I think Yamaha are the reliable choice ........ the loyal dog ( labby) which is hard to go past ( does what it needs to do) ! - we have other choices which may meet the fashion of the day but do we go for it ? - The ETEC is the pit bull of the market - looks tough & impressive but you just dont know if it will bite you on the bum and need to be put down .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think Yamaha are the reliable choice ........ the loyal dog ( labby) which is hard to go past ( does what it needs to do) ! - we have other choices which may meet the fashion of the day but do we go for it ? - The ETEC is the pit bull of the market - looks tough & impressive but you just dont know if it will bite you on the bum and need to be put down .

Chris
    Your just bumping this thread up to get a bite from E-bomb owners and i love it
    Cheers
    Matty

Lol I work in the motorcycle industry and people go on with exact same crap lol over which brand is better, When the real truth is that they all make great products. Lol I own an etec 60hp (e-bomb apparently known as) that sat unstarted in my shed for 2 years, Gave her some fresh fuel it fired up in under a couple seconds I was very surprised.

had a 2 stroke yammy 40 on the old 4.5 quinny with 500 something hours, never had a single problem with it. have a 70 4 stroke yammy on the new 5.2m quinny top ender with just on 120 hours now, its had a small rattle at WOT that was due to the dealer not torquing the bolts on the mount correctly.

i would and do trust my life to any yamaha outboard, never heard of a properly maintained and cared for one having any problems. same goes for suzuki 4 strokes

I'd like to see this poll re-run - I voted Yamaha and wouldn't again.
    YAMAHA's ARE NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE.

I bought a brand new 2 stroke five years ago and was chuffed with it initially but later had nothing but problems. The motor was rebuilt twice in 25hrs of use. I was patient and gave yamaha and their rep's every opportunity to fix the motor, but there seems to be a culture among them that 'if there is a problem with a regularly serviced motor it's the customers fault'. I got all the cop outs and excuses to explain the motor's poor performance, which were often conflicting between different service departments, but all implying 'user error'. The truth of the matter was the motor was a lemon and nobody was prepared to admit it. I replaced this motor with a new honda and it was the best move i ever made.... for product and service. The so called 'user error' has disappeared.

My mates who all own Yamaha's found my ordeal rather amusing until recently one of them upgraded to a brand new four stroke Yamaha a few months ago. Surprise surprise, I went fishing with him and we broke down halfway through a bar crossing - mind you the motor had less than 20hrs on it. He took it in for its 20hr service and it was given a clean bill of health - only to have a gearbox blowout on the next trip. He's now got a new gearbox but what next??

Maybe these are 2 isolated experiences......but I wouldn't own another YAMAHA if they gave them away.

He said, she said. I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long! Unfortunately, I've just added to it...

Novice - these things work themselves out in the end in the statistics mate. Chances are there are people who voted for another brand and have since changed their mind...in fact quite possibly more of a chance than those that have bought Yamaha I would bet. Sorry to hear of your problems mate. I hope Yammy are not resting on their (well deserved) laurels.

Cheers

funny novice should say that, I have noticed a general trend that reflects exactly what he said, there seems to be a growing band of ex Yamaha people out there, not too sure why though, there will always be a few owners of any brand that had a dud in some way, but the Yamaha thing is very evident.

Noelm, I don't know about it apart from a couple of people on this site, but if they are slipping I hope they are not getting like Toyota where they rest on reputation. I suspect though that they are just outselling the other makes by so much that statistically we are bound to hear more complaints. Interesting. Cheers