Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom cast net

custom cast net

Hi can anyone give me a contact for a top pocket true panel net in brisbane.
    thanks Ben

Re: custom cast net

do you mean true panel as 6 long peices joined from top to bottom to make the net.???

I think they are all individually made,but i could be wrong. i've been told you can tell if they're flat on the ground and the swivel sits flat to the ground and doesn't want to spring up. some nets seem to hold there shape in the air and on there way down alot better. Lots of people using different nets.

Im only using an 'off the shelf' 12ft top and bottom pocket with extra leads though am wanting to buy a new custom top pocket net.

Anyone got any further ideas.

Most nets that spring back are made with not enough mesh. for a 3.7 meter net the circumference needs to be 22 meters or so ( 2pieR). However most nets only have a lead line of 18 meters. There is actually two ways to make a net. Standard 5 peices with a horizon stich or a 6 peice with a verticle stich. ( made like an umbrella.

is either bettter or much the same

Try Bob on 32066379 wont be cheap but it will be worth it

Contact Pero if you want a custom made net, he will be $80.00 cheaper than Bob and wouldl be ready in about 2 weeks.

Pero does a good job, guaranteed you wont be disappointed, I've brought a few of Pero last prawning season. You can contact Pero directly on 0412-122-256.

Cheers

Hi Ben
    I have been prawning for a few years now and started with the over the counter 12 foot top pocket for the first year or so.
    I then got onto Bob @ Redland Bay for a custom net. He made me a good lead line net bit pricy but good which I used all last year.
    But when I was out on the water I noticed the blokes with the chain nets were killing me with each cast getting at least three times the prawns.
    So this year I brought a 3.7 chain net.
    I have been out a few times since getting it and have cleaned up.
    The net is easy to throw and even when I stuff a cast and the net only open up a little I still got 1/2 dozen prawns.
    The net I m using is made by Stan 0412 122 256 / Prawnin Pete on Nuggets
    The longest it has taken me to get a full bucket is 2hrs
    Best cast was around 6lts I was on my way home in under an hour that day.
    Another thing I noticed is that I can regather the net and cast in 1/2 the time of the old net and the chain doesnt catch or knot up on its self like the leads do.
    As you can tell Im extremly happy with this net and I will never go back to lead!
    Tim

A good net makes all the difference. Did well yesterday using a net from prawning pete , Bucket in no time. Watched another fella throwing in the same spot with a net from a well known net maker, only getting 2 or 3 prawns a throw.

I have been a client now for 2 seasons(numerous nets) of Stan (pero/prawning Pete). I to was formerly a bob client. Stan is very open to idea's and his service is top notch.
    The chain just makes so much difference , next time out just watch the various configs and the chain will alsways beat the old lead line. I personally find the heavier the chain (latest net has est 8kg chain) is spreads sooo much better and gets down fast

I would recommend Stan and his nets to anybody

cheers
    Michael

the trouble with a lot of lead line nets is NOT enough lead and after years of making my own nets you learn how much lead YOU can handle without killing your back.
    I have made both types of nets with the umbrella and ring patterns and prefer to make ring patterns.the umbrella pattern takes a heep of time to cut out as you need to make at least 14 sections just to form the circle.....and then sew it all together....then put on the lead line last , where as the ring pattern you hang the lead line first and then work back from there.....last year I knocked up a net for a mate in 16 hours.
    as for tangling lead lines...that tells me the lead line has not been sewn on to the rope tight enough as my nets dont tangle on the lead line.
    I avoid using clamp on leads as this stuffs you up when you need to repair a section of torn leadline.
    just some tips I have learned over the years of destroying nets..lol.
    I will even teach people how to make thier own nets if they are prepared to listen and learn....nothing worse than some r-sole trying to tell me how to do it after making my own nets for 25 years....and knows jack sheet...lol.
    so if you want to learn how to make your own net you can pm me here on AF.
    happy prawning
    pickers

thanks for the feed back. got one off stan today and battle the squals for a couple of kilos today, didn't hit the water till 3pm so not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pickers View Post
    the trouble with a lot of lead line nets is NOT enough lead and after years of making my own nets you learn how much lead YOU can handle without killing your back.
    I have made both types of nets with the umbrella and ring patterns and prefer to make ring patterns.the umbrella pattern takes a heep of time to cut out as you need to make at least 14 sections just to form the circle.....and then sew it all together....then put on the lead line last , where as the ring pattern you hang the lead line first and then work back from there.....last year I knocked up a net for a mate in 16 hours.
    as for tangling lead lines...that tells me the lead line has not been sewn on to the rope tight enough as my nets dont tangle on the lead line.
    I avoid using clamp on leads as this stuffs you up when you need to repair a section of torn leadline.
    just some tips I have learned over the years of destroying nets..lol.
    I will even teach people how to make thier own nets if they are prepared to listen and learn....nothing worse than some r-sole trying to tell me how to do it after making my own nets for 25 years....and knows jack sheet...lol.
    so if you want to learn how to make your own net you can pm me here on AF.
    happy prawning
    pickers

You must have a different formula then me for the umbrella nets.; Umbrella nets actually open easier but will depend on how you cast the net. lead weight is the key to catching prawns. Yes if the lead line is not sewn on properly or evenly, it will sag and get caught. A lead line on a 3.7 meter cast net will make a big difference, Comparing the standard 18 meters to the 22 meters.

If you had been making nets for 25 years , you would probably know who invented the top pockets for nets.

I have both nets but it is just easier to just go buy them now. 6 hours of working making them is a bugger.

Pickers

I tried to send a PM but you have no space left - I would advice on attaching a lead line.

Regards
    wazza10

Saw some ripper casts yesterday. about half a dozen blokes got a 5kilo throw. all within 5 minutes. Gonna be a good weekend.