Thread: Barra Spin Ree

Barra Spin Reel

Hi

Looking at getting another slightly larger spin reel for chasing barra. Already have a Daiwa Caldia 2500 matched to a shimano 7' 6-10kg spin rod. Wanting to get a slightly larger/heavier reel to balance out the combo. Thinking of a 4000 size shimano; symetre, saros or saragosa? Does anyone have any reviews of these reels?
    Also very interested in the Abu Soron STX 40. Looks the goods with full metal construction of frame, rotor, carbon drag, tough internals and bearing supported spool. Interested to here any feedback about these reels.

Thanks
    Rockfish
    Last edited by Rockfish; 15-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Re: Barra Spin Ree

I built a 6-8kg barra rod to suit a Luvius 3000 the rod and reel are light enough for long periods of casting. I used a Loomis blank

Ken

Mate i'm in Rocky too. I bought a Certate 4000 and put it on a Sol 10-20 for working Awoonga. Also throw large jerkshads on the reef with it and it feels great. If you want to see how it feels on your rod let me know and i'll give you a squiz.

I also have a smaller 2500 Saros that I use for small placcies. This reel is great and have smashed some big barra and queenies on it. Very good bang fo your buck.

I've heard good things about the Saros but no first hand use. I didn't think the gosa was made in 4000 size, 5000 being the smallest. Having said that there is only a slight difference in Shimano reels with the 4000 and 5000 and it would suit the rod fine. Can't say I'm a fan of the felt drag they put in the 5000 Gosa, all the other bigger models have dartanium. Apart from that it would be my pick of the choices you put up as it has the best corrosion resistance. I've extensively used a 4000 symetre and it performs very well for it's price. What lets it down is it doesn't handle the salt very well at all. It's a freshwater reel and you'd need to really look after it in the salt. If you have an open boat and the reels are going to cop some spray then I'd steer clear of it and the Saros (Stradic too for that matter).

Just to throw a spanner in the works, why not look at a twinpower FC (no need for the sw)? it's lighter than the gosa and comes in both 4000 and 5000 sizes. Fully waterproof, good drag and performs very well, as it should as it's not cheap!!
    I use a few TPs and they are awesome.

(edit - just saw the gosa is in the smaller sizes, newer models maybe)

I have fished heaps with the saragosa 4000 , it is one mighty reel , 10 kg of drag , biggest fish to date 25 kg GT , plus a number of 10 to 15 kg ones , not one problem so far , I find the drag to be nice and smooth , I run 40 lb braid on it , I also have the 8000 and 18000 , I do like these reels , Plus a little bit of care after each trip , and corrosion is not a problem ,

No need for anything above a 3000 size Daiwa or 4000 Shimano ....... I actually feel that the 4000 Shimanos are a fraction large & 3000 is a fraction small.

I'm currently using a 3500 Certate & 2500 Caldia ....... but the best ( till it fell overboard was the 3000 Certate ........ ideal size , sweet drag - and balances out the ideal barra spin rod well .

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks everyone for there help

I have decided to go a 4000 Sarogosa. Heard nothing but good things about these reels. Give the shimano's a try

Thanks
    Rockfish