Thread: Help needed!

Help needed!

OK all , I know a lot will flick over this post and think here we go again but I really need help ( probably in more ways than one ).
    Have just purchased my first offshore capable boat and need advice on rod and reel combos.
    I want to chase the usual suspects at all the usual spots in northern moreton bay and off the sunny coast.
    Love the idea of trolling and weightless live baiting but am totally lost in an endless internet full of options.
    Was thinking in the 15kg range in overhead but cannot seem to decipher with reel and rod will suit my purpose.
    Budget is not unlimited but am open to spending around $900 on a reel and then matching it to a suitable rod ( no idea what to put this reel on).
    Do I use bent butt, level wind reel etc etc ,
    If the guys that have frequented this forum longer than me can post some links to threads that may cover these questions or offer some opinions your help would be much appreciated.

Re: Help needed!

best thing to do is find a local tackle store and not one of the major chain stores, talk to them and they will help you with what is best for local waters.

Can't go wrong with a TLD for that type of work. Anywhere from a 15 to a 30 will do, the 20 is possibly the best. No need to spend big on the rod either for that matter. Local shops often sell a reel like this as a combo with a cheap rod that will do the job nicely.

Two outfits consisting of a Tyrnos 20 and a Tyrnos medium 10-15kg rod and you could pull a livey on top and one with a breakaway sinker midwater. Middle of the road for price and nice outfits to use, whatever you decide on....get two.

Yea a Tyrnos or TLD covers a lot of options along with a large spinning reel. Get the two outfits and you can try just about every offshore method. If the spin reel has a baitrunner function it is probably a bit more versatile
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

G'day,
    I will vote for Tyrnos 30 matched to a Shimano Backbone Elite spooled with 15kg mono to cover everything from Mac Tuna to Marlin. Very nice outfit and excellent value for money.

A couple of maxi sized Shimano Baitrunners and Shimano Bluewaterrods will serve you very well too, and give you the option of casting slugs or jigging with them. You will really want braid on them though to get the line capacity up.

No problem trolling with braid ( i much prefer mono though) just run an extra long mono leader to take up some of the shock of the strike, and don't mix line types when you troll. The braid will cut the mono if they cross.

It all depends on whether you think you will do more trolling than anything else. If so, go the overhead and mono.

I have always been a TLD 25 fan for maximum value for money, but the Tyrnos are just so much nicer to use. Better handle and higher retrieve rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    G'day,
    I will vote for Tyrnos 30 matched to a Shimano Backbone Elite spooled with 15kg mono to cover everything from Mac Tuna to Marlin. Very nice outfit and excellent value for money.
    No problem trolling with braid ( i much prefer mono though) just run an extra long mono leader to take up some of the shock of the strike, and don't mix line types when you troll. The braid will cut the mono if they cross.
    the Tyrnos are just so much nicer to use. Better handle and higher retrieve rate.
    Mate thanks for the feedback didn't even think about not using different line types, could have ended in tears.

Appreciate everyones help thanks. I have a lot to learn. Now i gotta get the hour meter turning on the new rig.

what Midnight said........ TLD 25 for 'getting the job done' very effectively. Trynos though, just feels a lot nicer while getting the job done just the same

My offshore gear comprises of a tyrnos30 on a Pfluger rod and Slammer760 on a powerstick. That covers every task I have thrown at them. Reasonable priced, tough and has handled some very nice fish. You could buy both the above combos, spooled up for under your budget.

Steve

has anyone got a thunnus ci4. im also looking for a northern bay and offshore/reef rig. want to try and get two rigs that can handle all types of fishing out there. i didnt mind the stradic ci4 4000 for a spin/jig only weighs 260g.