Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Snapper RIS. Please explain ?

Re: Snapper RIS. Please explain ?

As i have said all along, if the government actually reinvested money into the fishing sector by creating artificial reefs than the biomass of the SE QLD fishery would explode out of sight!

Instead of worrying about the few minute amounts of chemicals on old car bodys and ships, etc sink them and make some reefs! The minimal amount of polluntants diluted in billons of litres of water will not effect the environment one bit, the would be more pollutants go down stormwater drains after every half decent rainfall we have!

SE QLD waters are fairly barren with regards to reef type structure and it doesn't take a lot of structure to hold the bait fish and subsequently the bigger fish come.

If they dropped all the useless red tape and started making reefs out of "leftovers" the money they spent on this report could have made at least a couple of good sized reefs in the bay, and greatly helped our fish stocks as a whole!

Once again this is just a money grab off the broke government and a deal to keep their hand in the greens pockets.

I for one won't keep a single snapper if I have to pay to do so, I typically don't keep many anyway, they are a fun sport fish for me as they just don't have the table quality of a red emperor or trout that I can go catch without paying a fee!!

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    It has been 9 years!
    Slow growing fish Matt, matures at 23yrs . If the rate of growth were consistent, at 9 years its less than half maximum size, which i think in Qld tops out about 90-95 cms.

whats the bet that the $90 snapper license will be expanded to be also required for taking of pearl perch or trag...........

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Right now the 6 weeks is just an interim measure to 'do something now' before a final decision is made. This is for ALL sectors.
    Lovey, yep same side,

they did admit during the discussion that the closure would not / was not intended rebuild the snapper stock, as Barry has said in the news thread it is to slow the catch rate.

If you get to another one or if some else is going, ask them directly.

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    whats the bet that the $90 snapper license will be expanded to be also required for taking of pearl perch or trag...........
    I asked that quesiton at Viccie PT, Fisheries said if you dont get a permit , you can still fish for pearlies and trag

mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    It has been 9 years!
    The stduy that there basing there info on was done in 2008 wasn't it?? So that's only 6 years isn't it, as has been pointed out that ain't really very long!!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I got ya Honda, but the point they were trying to make was it was just to "reduce the effort" before a final 10 year measure was made. That effort reduction was chosen when other species were on offer as to reduce the impact.

I have said it before, there is no justifiable reason for a 6 week permanent closure when a 40cm minimum size is a viable alternative. John Kung is worried about release mortality not providing the right measures but release weights are there to mitigate that.

I think I know why a raise in MLS is not favoured: in 3-4 years when these millions of 30-35cm Snapper grow out to 40cm our catch rate in tonnage will spike up again. While all three sectors would benefit from this and so would the fishery and Biomass it will defeat the background purpose of all of this and that is to reduce/restrict/stop us from fishing.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.