Thread: 30W & 50W reels

30W & 50W reels

Hi all, I am interested in getting another setup atm.

Thinking maybe a 50W as we have been heading a little wider chasing some blues.

I have a 30w Alutecnos which I love and know the quality is very good.

But I'm wondering what the quality of the shimano tiagra's are like and the penn's.

And also other reels recommended. I don't what to spend a mint as this setup will only be used limited amount of times. But I know I need some decent quality to last and handle the pressures of the type of fishing.

Will probably go a second hand reel to maximise quality to $.

Setup will be 15-24kg rod 30W or 50W line 50lb mono.

Thanks for your help.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Re: 30W & 50W reels

I guess 9 out of 10 will reply with "get a Shimano" and indeed the Tiagra is a great reel, equally the Penn International is a very very good reel, with the added bonus of being very simple to service yourself, I have had both Tiagras and Internationals apart lots of times, and the Inters leave them for dead as far as simplicity is concerned, a 50W is one of my favorite size reels. Might pay to look about, you see them both near new for sale quite often, lots are often won in Game comps and sold without ever being used, I know of one for sale right now (Tiagra that is)

I personally use the tld 2 speed in the 30 size and its fantastic, i have no doubt in the 50 would be the same, 1 thing to do is upgrade the handle to the Tiagra power handle, much more comfortable and the handle is only $60.

Cheers Lee

Duel 2 speed, 1 way high speed, backwards low speed its easy to get used to and you dont get slack line when the fish changes direction.Penn are better now than tiagra now .
    imo graham

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I know of one for sale right now (Tiagra that is)

Pm me required please.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

penn internationals are for sale at the moment at most shops im about to buy two...

Tiagra 50w, they are a far more superior reel then the penn IMO. I them for the blues and they are definately a great reel. i actually liked them that much i just sold my Tynos's and bought all 16's for the light tackle. make sure when hunting for a rod go MINIMUM 24kg if you can, go a 37kg rod. Gives you ther option then of going 37 if you want and once you have the outfit you wont ever change.
    Cheers
    Matty

Tiagra's are going to be much smoother out of the box than any Penn International. If you already own an Alutecnos 30W, you basically own the best. Those reels that are made in Italy hold more line than the penn/shimano, have more drag, and are smoother in my opinion. If an Alutecnos 50W is in your budget, that is the route I would go.

Cheers.

[quote=j0hnnyv;1252367]Tiagra's are going to be much smoother out of the box than any Penn International. If you already own an Alutecnos 30W, you basically own the best. Those reels that are made in Italy hold more line than the penn/shimano, have more drag, and are smoother in my opinion. If an Alutecnos 50W is in your budget, that is the route I would go.

Cheers.[/quote
    I dont get why people love haven more drag? It does not matter wether the 50 alutecnos has more drag then the tiagra,as it can have 80kg of drag but its pointless if you cant use it! and as for 50W size reels you can only run 37kg MAX on these size reels (due to line compacity) and the Tiagra 50 does this WITH EASE. I personally wouldnt be going past the Tiagra as they are so damn well engineered. The cam set up in these reels makes Game fishing so much easier. Do it once and do it right .
    Cheers
    Matty

Hmmm no mention of the Diawa Sealine Tournaments...........are they really non-starters?
    Cheers.