Thread: Trolling for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi & Spaniards

Trolling for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi & Spaniards

Headed out Saturday for a troll around the coffee rock on the eastern side of Moreton, and then up to Shallow Tempest. Not a bite.

Wind was from the north, current was heading south, water temp was 26degrees.

Does anyone have any tips towards trolling for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi and or Spaniards?

I was trolling with Rapala high speed deep water jigs to 9metres.
    Speed over ground was 6.5knots, as 9knots seemed way to quick.
    Any suggestions would be great.

Re: Trolling for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi & Spaniards

I think lots of people did it tough out there mate, we fished hutchies for 3 strikes 1 hook up and one dirty big stinking barracudda landed, was average out there.

I heard boats in the sunny coast classic talking throughout the day i think everything was rather slow. My only suggestion would be try a hex head skirted lure, we had rapalas and halcos out yesterday but the hex head in a dark colour was the only thing to get a touch.
    Troy.

Thats the trend at the moment,its pretty much hit and miss out Hutchies way,we have done well on the Halco bibless lures in the past for Wahoo all in gold/black.Pull them at 7-8 Kn
    cheers
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

I had three from Four on Yellow Fin and dropped three Wahoo east of Point Lookout. The Mackerel Maulers at 8-10 Kn did the damage as well as a Nomad Dogtooth but always nervous trolling $50 plul lures for the razor gang and its members.

Maybe try slow trolled baits mate. Have had success with them in that area before.

I had a nice long barrelled 8" skirted lure gobbled up by wahoo on the troll yesterday............

bugger ate the 8" lure whole and took about a foot of leader with it

also lost a rapala x rap 30 that got hit above the wire.

Thanks for the info. Might grab a couple of skirted lures before the next trip.
    Also I was using a mirrored teaser, how far behind the boat do you guys put the teaser. Mine was about 5-6 metres.