Thread: Leatherwood Honey Smoked chicken.

Leatherwood Honey Smoked chicken.

Due to the fact that I cant go fishing because I cooked the motor in my ute I decided to indulge in my second favorite passion. ( Maintaining the size of my gut)
    When we were in New Zealand we had some manuka honey smoked chicken so I decided to see if i could duplicate it.
    Bumped a few chooks and I couldnt be bothered plucking and cleaning them so I just skinned them and kept the breasts and marylands.

I didnt have any manuka honey so I used i/2 a kg of Tassie leatherwood instread. The leatherwood has a distinctive flavour and I thought it would go ok.
    Mixed the honey with 5 litres of ham cure and pumped the chicken.

And let it soak in the brine in the fridge for 4 days.
    Took it out this morning and drained it off and let it dry and placed the breasts in the smoker.

Gave them around an hour and :-

Then it was time for the marylands.

Whilst they were cooking I sliced up one of the breasts and had a couple of coldies while waiting.

I am pleased with the result next time I will put in a bit more honey or see if can get some manuka in bulk as its a bit exy in the small bottles.
    Cheers
    Ray

Re: Leatherwood Honey Smoked chicken.

Looks Good Ray! What's in the 'ham cure' if it's not a secret recipie??

There's a smokehouse on Bruny Island, Tasmania (5 mins down the road from the ferry) that does Leatherwood Honey Smoked Duck ... it is sensational

Cheers,
    Jim

Re: Leatherwood Honey Smoked chicken.

Just commercial ham cure purchased from butchers suppliers.You have to be accurate mixing it as it contains preservative salt petre.
    Cheers
    Ray