Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biltong attempt

Re: Biltong attempt

Sometimes I have to shake me head at you Greg. Saffer = South african, Pom = English, Paddy = Irish, Jordy = Scottish, Yank/Septic = American, Froggy = Fench, Wog = Southern/central european..............all terms used to positively describe those from those regions who have chosen to be part of our great country, and not meant in any derogatory way.

Greg

I know all the other greg but never heard Saffer..as I said..heard many other words to describe them especially one that rhymes with that one but apparently they don't like that one much..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I know all the other greg but never heard Saffer..as I said..heard many other words to describe them especially one that rhymes with that one but apparently they don't like that one much..LOL
    The one you are thinking of could get you killed if you used in the wrong place

Got motivated on the weekend and did another small batch. Changed a couple of things.

-cut meat a bit thicker
    -used whole crushed coriander seeds in place of ground seeds
    -let meat sit in fridge with dry mixture over night

Should have a result in a few days. Couple of pics attached of meat pre dryer and in dryer.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    The one you are thinking of could get you killed if you used in the wrong place
    LOL..ya think ?

Hi Adam,
    Send me you phone number. I will call you and explain what I do to make my biltong. I also make the dry (worse) now as well, this is the sausage version of biltong. And just as good.

Sorry it’s just if I have to tell you by writing it up here I may be here all night.
    Cheers.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Quote Originally Posted by MEG-A-BITE View Post
    Hi Adam,
    Send me you phone number. I will call you and explain what I do to make my biltong. I also make the dry (worse) now as well, this is the sausage version of biltong. And just as good.

Sorry it’s just if I have to tell you by writing it up here I may be here all night.
    Cheers.
    Don't be shy, wack it up.....do a word doc and cut, paste.......please

wak it up meg a bite be keen to hear your recipe mate. i m just about to make some up myself be good to try something different

Yer post post mega cmon I want to try this stuff

This is a basic Biltong recipe, which lends itself to any number of variations for those who want to experiment until they have created their “Perfect Biltong
    Ingredients
    • 2 kg beef or venison (silverside, topside or Rump)
    • 3 cups coarse salt (not table salt or sea salt but the big lumpy salt)
    • 2 cups soft brown sugar
    • 5 ml bicarbonate of soda (this softens the meat)
    • 2.5 ml coarsely ground black pepper
    • 12.5 ml coarsely ground roasted coriander seeds
    • 1.5 cups brown vinegar mixed with 100ml Worcestershire sauce.

Preparation
    • Cut the meat into strips of approximately 1cm thickness.
    • Layer in a bowl with the vinegar mix for ½ hour.
    • Mix all dry spices together.
    • Roll meat in the mixed dry spices in a CLEAN bowl.
    • Allow meat to draw in its own brine for 3 hours.(thicker pieces to the bottom)
    • Remove meat and put back into vinegar mix for +/- 10 minutes.
    • Remove again and wipe meat with same vinegar to make sure NO SALT sticks to the meat.
    Other variations.

Before soaking the meat use half vinegar and half dry red wine or add 100 ml lemon juice to the vinegar/wine mixture. Before hanging make a mixture of ¼ coarsely ground black pepper and ¾ ground coriander. For those who like it HOT, sprinkle some peri-peri of your choice over the meat before hanging.Enjoy.

In the drying box it will take 2-4 days to be ready
    [Under the rafters it will take a bit longer and watch out for flies
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

I have a dehydrator, cheap one with 5 lyers to it, works great! You can use anything you want to make biltong, it just depends on your tastes I guess. I like mine tough and chewy, I use chilli, pepper, bbq seasoning, cajun etc. I got away from using too much salt and sodium due to the nasty effects they have on the heart, I also dont strip mine as i like tearing away at the larger pieces.
    I just get the blade steak, pat it dry with paper towels, season with whatever flavour i'm after and seal in a lock and lock container overnight, chuck it all in the dehydrator, set it on medium and rotate the stacks every 5-6 hours. Full dehydration is usually 24 hrs with some alternating between medium and low as I dont like to dry it out too much and make it crunchy or crisp, I will air it for a couple of hours in the dehydrator whilst its off before I place it in an air tight bag and refridgerate it for a couple of hours. Works great, tastes great and saves me a packet!!!

Hmmm sounds like I need a computer fan and 50w light bulb in the bottom of my Aldi Smoker.
    Cheers
    Ray

Righto Megabite, i'm trying your recipe today! Will let you know how I get on........