Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biltong attempt

Biltong attempt

I recently tried some Biltong and found it quite tasty, so thought think I'll have a crack at making some myself.

The first batch had just finished drying (longest few days I've had in a while) and is has ended up not to bad. I'm quite happy my first attempt wasn't a failure but there is definetly room for improvement.

So is there anyone who can give some advise how I can improve??

My method;

1. get some topside and cut into strips about 10mm thick.
    2. place in container with salt for about an hour.
    3. scrape off salt.
    4. brush meat with vinegar.
    5. sprinkle with pepper, coriander, paprika, chilli.
    6. put in drying box for a few days till done.

my drying box was made in a hurry from a 600 x 400 x 200 s/s box with vents holes cut in the top sides and bottom front (don't ask why) covered with fly screen and a 50watt heater placed in the bottom. I also used a computer fan outside the box blowing at the bottom holes. meat was hung from s/s welding wire hooks.

now I'm going to have a few beers and sample the result.

I am quite keen to get better at this after seeing the prices people sell it for so any help is welcome.

Adam

Re: Biltong attempt

Buy a dehydrator from retravision. they are about $100.00. I use corned silverside I slice it thinly and put in a tupperware container with soy sauce, worstershire sauce and chilli sauce. leave it for an hour and into the dehydrator. 5 hours later it's done. you can spice it with dry ingredients as you put it on the drying racks.

Sorry mate biltong??? is this like jerky?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Beast1965 View Post
    Buy a dehydrator from retravision. they are about $100.00. I use corned silverside I slice it thinly and put in a tupperware container with soy sauce, worstershire sauce and chilli sauce. leave it for an hour and into the dehydrator. 5 hours later it's done. you can spice it with dry ingredients as you put it on the drying racks.
    don't really want to out lay $$'s. did a bit of research on the net and a lot of people seem to use home made drying boxes (mine seemed to work ok). I'm more after correct techniques for saltin g/spicing etc...

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post

Scott
    yeah mate I believe it is South African heratige where jerky is American and sometimes smoked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adam

Get on to Meg-a- Bite from here. He is a Saffer (and a great bloke as well) and does his own biltong. Get the good oil straight from the horses mouth...so to speak.

Greg

Adam, i have been making mine for about 6yrs now, i find the rump @$6per kg is good, i buy my spice pre mixed now, its an African spice called Safari Spice.

In a bowl i add half cup white wine vinegar and half cup Worcestershire and 1 table spoon salt. layer the meat in a bowl spread the cut meat and add liquid untill just covered, spread the spice over the meat and repeat until you have used all the meat, keep in fridge for 24hrs, I have a dehydrator that i use and its the best money i spent on doing this, nothing better going bush for 7 days with 5 or more kg of beef jerky, keep at it

maimai,

does the one cup of liquid cover only the bottom layer of meat? what happens to the layers above the liquid?

Adam

hey adam, my wife was born in south africa and she raved over the stuff. i like the jerky and when i tried the biltong i was hooked, great stuf ay. ive just recently got my self a dehydrator and to make my own biltong would sure be a hell of alot cheaper thn wat they sell it for. will be interesting to see wat you come up with.

cheers jp

Quote Originally Posted by wamjam View Post

Scott
    That like saying Coral trout is like Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    That like saying Coral trout is like Catfish
    LOL LOL ...Sorry for my ignorance...I have to get my hands on some of this biltong!!!!...
    I mate of mine made what he called jerky....He had best results with using all dry ingredients to marinade, Dried the beef in a dehydrator...was pretty hot and spicy, just how I like it.

Scott

have to make beer Saturday so if I get a chance Sunday I may try to do another batch. will take some pics this time...

anyone with some more advice, this would be a good time to post, before I start again...

thanks
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Get on to Meg-a- Bite from here. He is a Saffer (and a great bloke as well) and does his own biltong. Get the good oil straight from the horses mouth...so to speak.

Greg
    what is a Saffer????????

Christ Greg don't you no anything, it means he's a South African, Springbok etc.

thanks webby...never em heard em called that before..heard em called many other things though..LOL