Thread: Tailor how far north ?

Tailor how far north ?

Morning,
    Just after a bit of information on Tailor,how far north can they be found do they normally run as far north as bundaberg or beyond in any reasonable numbers. looking at chasing them of the beach up here if it is worthwhile. I have done plenty of fishing for them as far as Double Island point but that is as far north as I have fished for them.
    Thank's
    Gary

Re: Tailor how far north ?

Gary

This time of year doesn't see too many big schools of Tailor hanging around Bundy but I have heard of them being around in the winter months. My Bro in Laws father is a mullet netter from Bundy and has caught them plenty of times while netting the mullet.

The best time and place to catch good Tailor is the yearly Tailor run over on Fraser Island. This period runs from as early as May/June and the big Horse Tailor turn up around the end of September and stay as late as November. I personally have caught my biggest Tailor off Indian heads (Southern Side) during a Xmas holiday in 2005. Alot of People have different thoughts as to when the best time is on Fraser but I have always found the really big fellas in October at night with a full tide. Alot of old Tailor fisho's will tell you also that throwing metal slugs into a school will put fish off the bight as will headlights of guys reversing up the beach. I personally don't agree with the slug thing as Tailor are not very fuzzy eaters when they hunt in big schools and will take just about anything you throw at them but I am a very big believer of not shining headlights or torches in the water while Tailor are feeding as this will spook them.

If you are in the bundy area I would be giving the Tailor thing a miss at this time of year and head up to the mouth of the Baffle and give that a go. Now the creeks and rivers are cleaning up after all the rain around Xmas I would be out very early flicking HB's in the baffle for some Jacks and Barra.

Have fun

Keith

I have caught a few Tailor during Winter from the Hoffmans Rocks area but this time of year I would be chasing Macs, Trevally and Tuna if I was looking to spin something up. The mouth of the Elliot holds good Trevally and Queenfish as well
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thank's Keith and Horse appreciate the help still a bit new to the area looking forward to checking out a lot of new places to fish. There is a lot of open beach up here with no people around to fish from. Lifes good
    Thank's again,
    Gary

Have seen a bloke with 2 big greenbacks from a morning session at Agnes Water (1770) and have heard of them being caught on Facing Island (Gladstone) but haven't seen it!

I have caught them at 1770.

Late afternoon/evening as the incoming tide covers the sandbanks.

Luc