Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stradic 6000 or 8000

Stradic 6000 or Daiwa Saltist 6500H

Guys,

I'm upgrading my gear from shit to medium and was wondering if the stradic 6000 or 8000 are any good. I will be using this outfit to chase mackeral in the bay. This will be replacing one of my trusty TSS 4. ( i have lost 2 knobs so far)

Budget is $250 and less. I might even consider a Saltist if budget can strech that far.

I will probably use the reel only when there is fish. I'm not a keen angler who will cast lures all day for nothing.

From talking to a few people, now i'm looking at the daiwa saltist 6500H

It will also double as a offshore rod too.

Re: Stradic 6000 or 8000

was my delima also... i went with the saltist purely based on line capacity because i am land based.. stradics are awesome reels though..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

There's a big jump up in size from an 8000 Shimano to a 6500 Daiwa, which is a pretty huge reel. I reckon the Stradic 8000 would be the one to get; depending what sort of line you are using, and what sort of other fishing you want to use, you could even get away with a Stradic 5000, though you lose a bit in retrieve speed with the smaller spool. If you are using, say 20lb braid, I'd personally go the 5000, if 30lb or more, then probably the 8000.

Best wishes
    Ian

Why not look at a lighter outfit to compliment your trusty TSS4. A 4000 or 5000 matched to the right rod would be a very effective weapon when the Spotties are feeding on smaller bait. Thats all I ever use in the Bay now and get a lot more hits compared to rigs throwing heavier slugs

PS Dont call your TSS4 SH!T as they have been a great reel that can take a lot of punishment. I use one in the surf a bit and it is around 20 years old now.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Why not look at a lighter outfit to compliment your trusty TSS4. A 4000 or 5000 matched to the right rod would be a very effective weapon when the Spotties are feeding on smaller bait. Thats all I ever use in the Bay now and get a lot more hits compared to rigs throwing heavier slugs

PS Dont call your TSS4 SH!T as they have been a great reel that can take a lot of punishment. I use one in the surf a bit and it is around 20 years old now.

I mean cheap not shit, just wrong use of words. I actually have 4 of them.

I'm actually in the process of updating my gear.

the straidic 8000 is $185 while the saltist is $235.

I Have actually lost 3 drag knobs from the Tss 4 and you can't get replacement parts for them anymore.

However i want a reel that is as fast as the TSS4 or faster. Salist is 134cm per spin.

Speed is not everything when chasing Spotties. We used TSS4s when our slugs weighed 40+gms and had no detail. Now we have slugs that look like fish and actually swim properly. I now seldom throw anything over 25gms and don't get too many knockbacks. I only use up to a 5000 in the Stradics but I'm very happy with their performance. I have no doubt the Saltist would do you fine as well.
    If its csheer speed you want thenalso check out the Emblem Pro
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Mate I actually looked at both the Saltist and Stradics yesterday.
    The Stradics won on a few counts.
    Lighter. Better seals. Screw in handle. More drag. Two spools.
    The 8000 is a touch smaller than the 4500 Saltist, the 6500 is huge and heavy.
    The 4500 has a higher ratio though, that didn't come into the equation for me.
    The Tackle Warehouse also had an older model Saltist 20-30lb 7' rod that they did a good price on.
    Feels like an excellent set up.
    Bought it for a mate, but I would have been more than happy to be taking it home for me!
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Speed is not everything when chasing Spotties. We used TSS4s when our slugs weighed 40+gms and had no detail. Now we have slugs that look like fish and actually swim properly. I now seldom throw anything over 25gms and don't get too many knockbacks. I only use up to a 5000 in the Stradics but I'm very happy with their performance. I have no doubt the Saltist would do you fine as well.
    If its csheer speed you want thenalso check out the Emblem Pro
    Horse, if you don't mind, what setup do you use with the smaller slugs? Leader, wire, swivels?
    Never too old to learn new tricks
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Horse, if you don't mind, what setup do you use with the smaller slugs? Leader, wire, swivels?
    Never too old to learn new tricks
    I use a 4000 sized reel on a 4-7kg Starlo Tournament Maxspin running 12lb Microfuse and about 2m of 20lb flouro leader. Any medium weight plastics setup will do the job. I normally throw 14gm Searocks or 15gm Gillies Baitfish in white but have gone down to 10gm when they are feeding on tiny baitfish.
    I never use wire on Spotties and have a lure loss rate of about 1 in ten. If I'm keen I add a swivel to the lure and upgrade the trebles but they still work OK the way they come out of the pack with the tiny trebles.
    A small baitfish profile plastic like a 4" Powerbait Minnow also works but I get a lot more biteoffs.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

stradic are a top reel for your money. silky smooth drags. the two models mentioned i think are basically similiar in weight and size, so i was shown when i bought my 8000 for a bay mackerel 5-10kg rod. However, i have found im using my stradic 4000 on 4-7kg 7ft plus rod for m bay mostly as it casts further and i can fish more water per cast and allows you to present lighter slugs/slices and even soft plastics or hard bodies lures. line capacity may be an issue if you hook large tuna, cobia, kingy though but half the battle is to get them to bite first.

As neil said, the Emblem Pro is super quick ! Its got plenty of stopping power
    & great for long casting 10 - 15g slugs. The boys @ Tacklewarehouse matched it up
    for me on a 8-10kg live fibre i had, with 15lb mono. Its handle all the macks & tuna ive encountered !!!!!

Mark

Well i got a Saltist 6500H as it was the same size as the emblem pro. However it had a bigger spool capacity and fitted nice to a 7 foot Live fibre Texalium 15-24kg rod. ( or the normal live fibre). The saltist is actually faster then the emblem pro.

However some ausfisher have said speed is not the only thing. This just means i can wind the line in slower.

Now do i fill her up with 50 pound braid or just 15kg mono.

????

Going to be hard flicking light slugs, with 15 - 24kg rod.
    Let alone 50lb braid ?? JMO
    The saltist has a deeper spool ei more line, the emblem has a larger spool for casting. It gets its speed from the size of the spool, not the ratio !

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    Going to be hard flicking light slugs, with 15 - 24kg rod.
    Let alone 50lb braid ?? JMO
    The saltist has a deeper spool ei more line, the emblem has a larger spool for casting. It gets its speed from the size of the spool, not the ratio !

Mark
    Mark.

that advice came from a tackle shop. The rod has a very light tip but strong.
    50 pound braid - well thats another story

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Mark.

that advice came from a tackle shop. The rod has a very light tip but strong.
    50 pound braid - well thats another story
    thats very heavy for moreton bay mackerel. how long is the rod? your casting distance is going to be very small if you want to catch mackerel and small tuna with 50lb braid on a stiff rod.

i would recommend a 5-10kg rod max even lighter for luring.