Thread: US rod for Barra and the like

US rod for Barra and the like

G'day all,

I'm curious about peoples thoughts and recommendations regarding a new Powell Endurance crankbait rod with the following stats:
    #: 706 CB Glass Mod-Fast
    Length: 7'0" - Power: Heavy - Power Rating: 6
    Line Wt: 10lbs. - 20lbs. Lure Wt: 3/8oz. - 1oz. - Action: Mod-Fast - Handle: 2

https://www.powellco.com/catalog/cat/?id=48

it would be primarily used in the local dams for throwing reaction baits (as the yanks call em') distance for wary barra and the like, I'm thinking of trying some big crankbaits (like Norman DD). I think the rods look pretty good and the description I found of the action seems to be forgiving. What do people think, would this rod suit this application ?

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by t4topcat; 29-01-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: left out information

Re: US rod for Barra and the like

I now have 2 7ft+ rods i love them. Ones a dawia procaster at 2.3m the other is a carbon rod at 2.1m makes casting a breaze. Tackle warehouse (us site) um have a lot of 'frog' rods which are exactly this.

Also u can get a longer berkley drop shot rod

Throwing slower glass blend crank bait rods can be a challenge - if you are not used to them
    They load much slower ......
    If you use them side by side with a high modulus graphite rod ..... you can end up in with all sorts of mess.
    I have a Lucky craft crank bait rod (glass blend) & I struggle ...... . nice to work a lure with & land a fish on - but casting

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

G'day Chris,
    when you say they load slower, do you find you get a definite 'whip' at the cast that causes problems? Have you found a remedy with adlusting your casting action that is begining to work for you? I was sort of thinking that I'd have to use a more gentle casting action and resist the temptation to try to 'punch' out a cast and just let the properties of the material do its thing and provide the power to the cast. Have you found that when you 'hit the sweet spot' so to speak you get better distance out of your cast than you would with a high mod blank of similar length?

sorry about all the questions mate I'm just trying to sort stuff out in my head before making a purchase overseas, by the way did you look at the link, what do you think of the product, I realise that it's not a LuckyCraft but with a young family it's within my new budget. Have you heard anything about the Powell rods?

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by t4topcat View Post
    G'day Chris,
    when you say they load slower, do you find you get a definite 'whip' at the cast that causes problems? Have you found a remedy with adlusting your casting action that is begining to work for you? I was sort of thinking that I'd have to use a more gentle casting action and resist the temptation to try to 'punch' out a cast and just let the properties of the material do its thing and provide the power to the cast. Have you found that when you 'hit the sweet spot' so to speak you get better distance out of your cast than you would with a high mod blank of similar length?

sorry about all the questions mate I'm just trying to sort stuff out in my head before making a purchase overseas, by the way did you look at the link, what do you think of the product, I realise that it's not a LuckyCraft but with a young family it's within my new budget. Have you heard anything about the Powell rods?

Cheers

Chris
    Looking at it the other way - when I use my high mod rods .... I use a punch cast with a snap of the wrist on the completion of a short back cast ....... I can get good distance with a fair degree of accuracy
    If you try this with these slower glass rods , the rod is usually not loaded & you either loose efficiency or .... I get a birds nest. To overcome this you have to go to a longer slower back cast to allow the rod to load before commencing the foward cast (a bit like beach casting) . I can cast big swimbaits quite well with the glass blend - but the cast is more of a lob.

So you need to be conscience of it when you go from one outfit to another

Powell rods are OK

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO