Thread: which spin rod?

which spin rod?

Hi guys, i have figured and purchased a spin reel for the stones.. went with a saltist spin 650.. 500 of pe5 and over 6 to 1 ratio.. will do the trick for sure. was wondering if any one has any suggestions for a spin rod. i will be targeting longtails and spanyards and running braid.
    cheers,
    Nathan.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Re: which spin rod?

A pity you didn't go the 4500H as that would still give you enough line I reckon. Weight is the only issue though. A lot of rods here will do the job.
    The T curve bluewater spin rods are good, probably the 10 to 15 kilo insteead of the 15 to 24 kilo may suit but that depends on drag settigns. Borth are good rods though.
    I run my 50lb spin reel through a custom samurai NV9 blank. It's awesome and perfect for 50 lb braid and the type of fishing you are looking to do.

Ray and Annes tackle have great deals on Monstermesh rods right now, 179 delivered I think. Can't go wrong at that price. If they have a long one (7 foot) for throwing slugs it's tempting!
    Fin Nor do an Ahab rod that is also quite nice for this although I think the 4500 size would have suited this rod a bit better. There's also an ugly stick bluewater spin rod that will be the right length for this, can't remember the model number but should set you back less than 200 bucks and still do the job.

That should get you started!

cheers... man cheap on the monstermesh hey!!! 179, they have a 6'6.... hmm wondering if its long enough, am thinking the three piece gaff might help solve that problem lol

If you are fishing the stones around SEQ I think a bit of length is worthwhile. We don't have many nice deep ledges that are easy to access with a 7' rod.
    With a 6500 sized reel you could look at something like this

T Curve revolution 902 Spin (Length 9ft. 2 Piece - Line 10 to 15kg - Cast Weight 15 to 50g) for around $200.00
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

cheers horse.. anyone have anthing to say about 2 piece rods these days? i swore i would never buy one, i used to have all my rods custom.. have heard these days though they do make some good ones.. have even seen a few guys using them with some pretty serious spin reels attached (stella's and saltiga's)
    obviously i have been out of the loop for a few years.. so any advice would be appreciated

Multi piece rods today are vastly improved on what was used more than 10 years ago. Although a one piece rod gives you a degree of piece of mind concerning any possible weak points it is only in the mind these days.
    Over the past few years i have been converting most of my rods to custom built 3 piece travel rods as i do a bit of travelling. It does not matter if the rod is chucked in the back of a ute or placed in you check in baggage on an aeroplane it is safe and secure. I have never had an issue with any of them breaking or looking like they have a flat spot or something sinister in the curvature. There are a few manufactures that make 2 piece and now dedicated 3 piece travel rods but to get exactly what you want go to this link.
    http://www.travelrods.com/TravelRods.html
    Some of them are not cheap but they have many stock rods comparable with similar products in one piece. You can also custom build.
    Regards to all Dick