Thread: where to get lead from

Question where to get lead from

hi all i am interested in making my own sinkers but not sure on were to get the lead from. have mad them before with a mate and he was getting it from old tyre weights. any help would be great.

cheers jp.

Re: where to get lead from

Most scrap yards will sell you some lead or try some local plumbers.

A lot of wheel weights are not lead any more.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

ok 1st optiion are hit up a smaller tyre shops they will have buckets of its (its not very pure lead but o well)

old diver weights, shot gun shot (from gun shop)
    or even hit up a metal recyclers

I'd be going to a scrap yard, usually have good 99% pure lead for around 3 bucks a kilo

You can also buy rolls of it from hardwares and plumbers supplies but not sure of the price.

Visit new housing estates with tiled roofs. These are flashed with lead and ask the chippies, plumbers and roof tilers.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Go to a metal recycler and get some pure lead. Most of the other sources have heaps of other stuff mixed with it and its dangerous enough melting pure lead. Modern flashing and tyre weights are a good example of stuff to avoid aas are battery internals
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

tyre weights are hard to use - weird lead alloys, that go brittle, and some of them are not even lead based at all

pure lead is the go as mentioned above

Jason,

I bought 20Kg from a metal recycler in Rowland street Springwood for $1.80 per Kg on Monday, if you head down from the corner where Springwood marine are, the recycler are Down the back. And it's the clean stuff - flashing sheets mostly. He had heaps left after I had been there. I have another supplier in Queens road Kingston that charge $2.00 a Kg, same deal. Good clean lead.

Cheers

Scalem

thanks every 1 sounds like the scrap yard is the way to go.

cheers jp

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Jason,

I bought 20Kg from a metal recycler in Rowland street Springwood for $1.80 per Kg on Monday, if you head down from the corner where Springwood marine are, the recycler are Down the back. And it's the clean stuff - flashing sheets mostly. He had heaps left after I had been there. I have another supplier in Queens road Kingston that charge $2.00 a Kg, same deal. Good clean lead.

Cheers

Scalem

alittle out of my way down there but looks like you got a good score with that price. thanks anyway.

jp