Thread: Long baitcaster rods

Long baitcaster rods

I've no got two 7'+ baitcasters and I find it hard to relies why they haven't cought on here. I hate using smaller bait casters to throw small lures.

Re: Long baitcaster rods

i have a 7' Gloomis with a calcutta 100 for chasing bass and yellowbelly. would never go shorter. i can pick that rod up after a couple of months and land the lure just where i want it every time.

those in the know have def caught on...... i have 2 7' loomis that i use for barra. the only time my 5'8" t-curve gets a run is for land based jacks in country where theres a few too many tree's to accidently wrap a rod around!!!! Ill take a 7' long baitcast rod anyday of the week
    JAYVEE
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

My favourite combo.
    Shimano taipan 7Ft and Banax BMG 603
    magic
    randell

Many of the creeks in NQ are pretty small hard to throw lures arund with a long rod sometimes. Definetly has its advantages in saome spots but tthe 5 foot six version probably suits the smaller tighter spots.
    They can be a bit whippy too hard to stop big jacks in cover with the extra flex

It depends on your use. I use a 4'6" baitcaster in the creeks when I'm in the Kayak. On the lakes I've been playing with an 8'6" Daiwa baitcaster. The long rod certainly casts a long way, but is very hard to use for short casts.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

its all a matter of personal preferance. i have a 6'3 loomis and can cast it as far as my 7'1 loomis. i like a shorter rod for working lures. have caught barra on both. as long as you are catching fish pick what you will!

i,ve been using the quantum accurist 6-8kg bc 7' for about 12 months now and love it , was a killer up at the swains on trout n rte , will cast a plastic a fair way and heaps of grunt down low for steering big fish quick, also a treat on barra in the rough.
    cheers swano

Agree with Swano's and Dales sentiments,

I have an Egrell B6-L (6ft 11) and I love it for casting big placcies long distance, and slow rolling etc...also would be good for casting slugs for tuna etc. has a sensitive tip, but grunt down low to smash big fish. I have found it also works smaller lure etc fairly well with the softer tip...still casts them further than the shorter rods..But like Dale (aussiebasser) said, the shorter rods are better for tight country, and shorter precise casting.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

I like using 7ft baitcasters for double handed casting of soft plastics

When it comes to using HBs in the dam - I prefer 6'6" rods ...... no longer

Then for lure casting in the estuaries (single handed) Its all about 6' - 6'2" rods with shorter single handed grips - I find a lighter / shorter rod more precise & adjustable when it comes to casting ( try backhand casting with a 7ft rod)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO