Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: different types of fisherman ive noticed

different types of fisherman ive noticed

so i been fishing abit off jetys and piers etc lately and have come to notice there is many types of fishermen/women.
    ive noticed a few stereotypes.

the drunk fisherman
    usually hangs in packs of two.
    good for a laugh.
    always willing to hand you a few livies when he caught to many.
    lose a fish around him and you will cop it.

the drunk boaty
    move your stuff and move it quick there can be a 30 metre spot his coming to where you are regardless. (missus couldnt reel fast enough and nearly lost her rod)
    he will be keen to fight and throw cans or bottles around.
    usually seen unloading barely 'legal' catch.

the old fisherman
    got some awesome storys.
    always telling you if your doing something wrong or how to do it.
    has a rather superb amount of hookups.
    happy with a just few whiting for him and the wife.

the jealous fisherman
    as you enter a spot regardless of distance from him , he will stare at you.
    if you at the spot first he will proceed to try push you out of your spot by nudging closer.
    catch something big he will ask 21 questions than cast where you were while your rebaiting.

the young d!ckhead
    music will be pumping loud
    8kg gear with 40lb+ mono big sinkers , wire trace size 1 hook with a small prawn for bait.
    gets angry never catches anything.
    may laugh at your light gear until you start catching stuff.
    techinque is severly flawed a bite usually results in a race to reel in.

the father/husband fisherman
    brings the kids down and missus and is slightly agitated at thes amount of snags they find.
    rerigging gear fairly constant.
    always keen to have a chat ask what your lucks been like, if any spots are producing tiny bream etc the kids can catch.

will add more soon , going fishing now and was just talking to a mate about it lol

feel free to add your own
    fishing is not a hobby , its an addiction.
    my missus wants to send me to fishers anonymous

Re: different types of fisherman ive noticed

Quote Originally Posted by owey87 View Post
    so i been fishing abit off jetys and piers etc lately and have come to notice there is many types of fishermen/women.
    ive noticed a few stereotypes.

the drunk fisherman
    usually hangs in packs of two.
    good for a laugh.
    always willing to hand you a few livies when he caught to many.
    lose a fish around him and you will cop it.

the drunk boaty
    move your stuff and move it quick there can be a 30 metre spot his coming to where you are regardless. (missus couldnt reel fast enough and nearly lost her rod)
    he will be keen to fight and throw cans or bottles around.
    usually seen unloading barely 'legal' catch.

the old fisherman
    got some awesome storys.
    always telling you if your doing something wrong or how to do it.
    has a rather superb amount of hookups.
    happy with a just few whiting for him and the wife.

the jealous fisherman
    as you enter a spot regardless of distance from him , he will stare at you.
    if you at the spot first he will proceed to try push you out of your spot by nudging closer.
    catch something big he will ask 21 questions than cast where you were while your rebaiting.

the young d!ckhead
    music will be pumping loud
    8kg gear with 40lb+ mono big sinkers , wire trace size 1 hook with a small prawn for bait.
    gets angry never catches anything.
    may laugh at your light gear until you start catching stuff.
    techinque is severly flawed a bite usually results in a race to reel in.

the father/husband fisherman
    brings the kids down and missus and is slightly agitated at thes amount of snags they find.
    rerigging gear fairly constant.
    always keen to have a chat ask what your lucks been like, if any spots are producing tiny bream etc the kids can catch.

will add more soon , going fishing now and was just talking to a mate about it lol

feel free to add your own

Mate I may have misconstrued your post but if I haven't - why would you go fishing unless it is on an uninhabited beach and jetty with no fathers, wives, kids, or others around.

With your approach to fishing -------- naaaa I wont go there.....

Cheers Not all of us are perfect........ Give emm a break so long as they dont personnaly get in your face..... put up with the stories (the oldies have plenty to share), put up with the younger ones (they have plenty to learn) and put up with life... and for you .... - wel lighten up ....thats why we are call fisherman because you are fishing and nothing is better than that no matter what.... For us a fisherman...............................We are all a long time dead

Pete

i was just pointing out the diffrent types of people ive noticed
    most are great and im always having a chat with who ever is around.

just saying how there is a few stereotypes ive noticed , some good some bad.
    like the father fishing one all are good points.

will be sure to not post any observations made in future pete just incase it stirs you up.

another thing ive noticed is on this forum and there is a few im a member of. a few people shoot others down straight away when they make a post.
    im a member on others such as boostcrusing who is known for it's abusing and hacking peoples stuff and i even find they are less likely to shoot down your every post than some of the blokes on here.

jsut to add to my post has been taken very wrongly.
    mate im the sorta fisherman who is down the jetty and see a few young kids primary school age on there own , im the guy who ends up ehlping they reel in the big fish or catching them bait fish etc.

and the old guys i love the storys.
    i find a good spot i share it with everyone regardless chances are im not gonna eat 10 bream so if i find a really good spot ill tell others of it.

Owey 87 as I said if I misconstrued your post, I apologise... Even so your intial post explained this site "Ausfish" to a tee.. HeHeHe

Old fisho's and there ideas and stories, Young fisho's and new ideas (+music - no stories yet) and so on.....

Have a good one and take care
    Pete

no worries mate , cant have a bunch of blokes in the same place and not have a few things taken the wrong way lol

the old fisherman are the best, one helped me to show up 5 blokes who had sat there big noting and giving everyone around a rough time that they are great and they gonna catch the monster snapping there braid constantly off the jetty.
    one bloke had 80lb braid with a wire trace and got snapped off 3 times on live bait. when i got a big hit on my humble little 10lb mono and tiny daiwa spin outfit this elderly man talked me through the drag release and pumping and helped real in the 'monster' which was an easy 1.7metre long eel. alot of people were shocked including me that i got him in and the other blokes trying to pull it on to jetty were i bit pissed we cut the line and let him go.
    but the way this bloke spoke with his struggling voice but his great exciment was just a sureal moment haha

You haven't come across the dangler's yet??

I'm in that category.
    They go fishing purely for the enjoyment of fishing (or to get away from the cook and kids). If they get a feed it's a bonus.
    Easy to spot they are.
    They normally wear a pair of torn old work shorts and a tattered old work shirt and always have an old hat on...even at night (but a beeny is used in colder periods). If you could still buy terry towelling hats this is what would be on the noggin'.
    They usually use a long light rod even in a boat and always, always use an Alvey as a reel (and as such monofilament line is exclusively used). They only ever, ever fish with one rod at a time.
    Fishing rods are made from fibreglass or bamboo.
    Graphite is the stuff in your pencil.
    Braid is what girls do to their hair.
    Bait is almost exclusively a prawn, or during bream season, chook gut can be (and is usually) used as a prawn substitute.
    They generally have lots of tackle which includes about 15 hooks of 2 different sizes and a Eno tin full of different sized sinkers with a #3 bean been the biggest in the arsenal.
    They always have a thermos of tea or coffee with some home made biscuits within easy reach and in winter they may have a dram or 70 of Green Ginger wine with them to ward off the cold.
    The dangler is usually the person fishing in the rain in winter. Seasons and rain and cold and sandflies and wind and any other nasty mother nature can throw at them mean nothing. They have their Green Ginger to ward off the cold and anything else mother nature can throw down in her fury.

When they get home the fish is inevitably cleaned and filleted in the backyard and the fish is dried on a tea towel, dipped in egg, rolled in flour and cooked in a fry pan with butter. The back bone is usually cooked as well as this is where the sweet meat is.
    Homemade chips and some sliced tomato is usually the compliment to the fish but mashed potatoes with peas and pumpkin is an acceptable substitute in the cooler months.
    The guts and other left overs are either used as crab bait or buried in the garden to help the Magnolia tree along.

Also....They never, never, never use soft plastics...and they usually win the River to Mud.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

You can add the tourno

brand stickers on every part of their boat/gear,
    colourful brand fishing shirts,
    designer glasses
    brand embossed caps
    blinged up gear worth more than most most people's car
    never use bait, only lures worth more than a carton of beer
    the good ones can cast a lure into a keyhole at 50m with a decent side wind
    are passionate about fishing and spend more time doing it, than doing 'it'!
    car sits in drive way, because shed is full of boat and fishing gear

Steve

There is also the mad keen fisher that will fish the fresh the bay ,offshore or just anywhere he thinks he will get something and he usually has as apollo said a boat and a kayak in the garage and the car lives outside . I cant think who it might remind me off ? matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Owey..Good idea for a thread and some nice observations..

From my local pier I've noticed :

The Japanese fisherman/group. All new very cheap gear just brought for a brief holiday. They haven't got a clue but enjoy themselves anyway. Take lots of photos. Don't bother talking to them cause they don't understand a thing but nod and smile anyway. If they catch a toady there as happy as..and want to put it on the BBQ.

The Greek fishermen..Very serious.Arrive with a converted pram stuffed with all sorts of gear that is wheeled to the best place where they'll be for a long time. Will soon take up most of the best areas with any number of rods, you never really know which is which and neither do the Fisho's. If you are nice and friendly they'll show you a keeper bag which is attached to a hidden line somewhere on the pier. Inside will be some very nice big squid that they call white gold. They'll have that special smile showing a variety of damaged and battered teeth. Their breath turns the berley bucket seem a deodoriser.

what about the A.D.D. fisher?

first cast with a plastic....nope nothing likes that, gotta try another style/colour....this goes on for awhile, then it's a variety of HBs......different leader sizes....different jighead sizes......maybe bait is better, good thing I though beforehand and bought squid, pilchards, prawns and worms just in case?
    All the while the mileage on the boat is being clocked up as the first one or 2 casts in each spot yield nothing which means it's time to move on.
    At the end of the day a large assortment of mangled plastics, unwanted jigheads, changed leaders, 3/4 full bait bags and an empty fuel tank are all that remains of an exhausting day.
    Boat doesn't get cleaned/flushed either.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

the self confessed pro (my brother fits this)
    has more rods than you can throw a stick at.
    boat has a rod and rod holder for every sqaure foot and they all rigged up and in.
    can be seen running into sandbars,rocks,logs etc often as the depth sounder gets it wrong.
    all day fishing trips last 2 hours if theres no bites on the 12cm herring in .8m water.
    doesnt understand that fishing structure isnt about getting snags its about finding the fish.
    EVERY unknown fish that takes the line is a barra regardless of being at douglas shoals or not .

This is a rippr thred keep em comeing,when you think about it we have all got a bit of each described fisho in us!!!

The Malcolm Douglas.

Can go fishing with less than a moments notice.
    No shoes, hat, suncream, tackle box, bait or food.
    Everything is nearly broken or only half working.
    Can't tell you the current Prime Minister name but knows 6 ways to cook a jelly fish.
    Can spot a patch of birds working from the boat ramp.
    Studies every crab pot float with a frowned look. (What happen to using a shovel?)
    Doesn't have to be home by any time. He has no missus.
    Will go fishing a second time with someone else before you've cleaned up.
    Always catches more fish.
    Everything can be eaten.

The nervous wreck.

Won't let go of the side of the boat.
    Treats every fish like its the plague.
    Will need the first aid kit at some stage, but only for minor knick.
    Can barely hold the boat while you park the car.
    Can not pull in an anchor.
    Will whinge about a bumpy ride or getting wet.
    At some stage will ask about sharks and what direction you'd would swim if we sunk right now!
    A fishing hook might as well be a loaded automatic weopon it's treated that delicately.