Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: different types of fisherman ive noticed

Re: different types of fisherman ive noticed

Now, let's see. What words would you use to describe someone trying to land a big jew on a beach using some reel other than an Alvey?

Ambitious, maybe?

Optimistic, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Now, let's see. What words would you use to describe someone trying to land a big jew on a beach using some reel other than an Alvey?

Ambitious, maybe?

Optimistic, perhaps?

a Victorian

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    a Victorian
    enuf said....
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

This mexican who follows the Rabbitohs cause of their great name would like some lessons in Alvey technique if ever I get up there to see you blokes. I think TOLs collection would be a good place to start.Then some lessons in holding a rod and not spilling a beer would be handy also. Now that I remember my ol'man had a few Alveys........... Didn't catch much..So the heritage is there.

dunk it in the salt water and not only have you cleaned the sand from it you have also done its annual service.
    what a classic line...maybe alvey could use that in a new add campaign....

and just for the records i have 4 Alvey's.

I've got 16 Alveys JJ, three of which are suitable for big jewies. The details are all on an Excel spreadsheet.

If you hook a big jewie (mulloway as you call them) off the beach with one of these babies, then you've got all the time in the world to land it, because the jewie ain't going anywhere.

You can pour a coffee or a cup of tea, or even crack open a tinnie if you want to. Then you just wind in at your leisure, preferably waiting until a few people show up and ask you what you've got on.

Saw a reasonable one get landed at Fraser once. They had to use a Landcruiser ute to tow it out of the shorebreak.

TOL

Maybe we should run a poll.

1 - Those who own an Alvey

2 - Those who use to own an Alvey.

3 - Those who wish they had an Alvey.

4 - Those who say they hate Alveys, but are secretly jealous.

5 - Those who say they hate Alveys because they just do not know better.

I have 2 Alveys and both my kids started fishing with an Alvey.
    My brother has an Alvey he bought 40 years ago, it is the only reel he uses. Partly because he is too cheap to buy anything else, but also because any reel he uses has to be able to swim, roll in the sand and wash itself.

Ian

There is one type of fisherman that has not been mentioned yet and that is the truely dedicated perhaps compulsive fisherman. These are the very few % of fisherman that are absolutely single mindedly dedicated to the sport. I think its the same sort of dedication that can make a champion in most fields.

I'm privilaged to know one maybe two and know of a few more. These are the people who will go to lengths that even a good fisherman would shy from. They will acquire a huge breath of knowledge on whatever type of fishing they do. They go out in the hardest conditions, usually at night, and spent endless hours at their pursuit and will do it for their whole lives, happily.

I know of one guy down here who was generally regarded as the best, by the best. Due to a circumstance he has totally given up fishing and is now a top photographer, applying that same single mindedness to another pursuit.

I've attached a photo of a mate who I would put in that category. Pictured with a 29kg Mulloway caught with a penn 850ss in the surf. If you look closely you'll see reel on the right of the frame.

Then there's the Guy who will fish occasionally, but will take absolutely any friggin' chance he can get to show what a filthy bunch of lying felchers the Greens are!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Then there's the Guy who will fish occasionally, but will take absolutely any friggin' chance he can get to show what a filthy bunch of lying felchers the Greens are!

Cheers,

Tim
    Lost me on that one I'm afraid.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

[quote=charleville;1248047]Now, let's see. What words would you use to describe someone trying to land a big jew on a beach using some reel other than an Alvey?

That's Easy....

A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end of the line ...

(No offence intended...)

Cheers

I think this photo sums up one of the reasons Alveys are great for kid....you can't keep your eye on them all the time.

Plus all the usual stuff about getting to understand the feel of the fish etc...Yes, you end up with a bit of line twist and they occasionally wind the line around the handles, but dealing with that sort of stuff is part of being a parent!

Jono.

ps - i've landed a few good fish on the 4 inch alvey - mainly bream. I do aim to catch a spotted mac on it one day.

Then there are the guys who head out to sea and can’t seem to anchor on fish little lone find them. You spend an hour sounding around in 80+ meters of water, not a boat to be seen. You anchor and spend the next 2 or 3 hours berlying them up and get them on the chew only to have this wank&r drive directly behind you and then hit his GPS to save the mark. Mean time the fish have gone of the chew and you have to do the whole excursive over again. To add to my pain the same said wank$r will try and anchor with in 30 or 40 meters hoping the fish will swim over to his boat. Offcourse on the change of the tide his boat swings around and we have a cluster F&^k with the anchor ropes. Words of violence to his persons is expressed with raised voices, his anchor rope is cut and he goes home in a puff.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Jono_SS View Post
    I think this photo sums up one of the reasons Alveys are great for kid....you can't keep your eye on them all the time.

A beaut picture! If that were an egg-beater, the kid would get in trouble from Dad and both would go home sorry about the whole affair and the day would have been spoilt.

I have a 7 month old Grand Daughter. She is the apple of my eye, and you can bet your shiny pink butts I will teach her to boat and fish, when she is old enough.

I have already given some thought to where I should start, and was having some difficulties. You old farts have, however, helped me resolve the biggest issue. Her first reel will be a very pretty little Alvey! Simple and bullet proof.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.