Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking fish on the BBQ

Cooking fish on the BBQ

I have some flathead fillets for a BBQ tomorrow and as I rarely eat fish was just wondering how is a good way to cook them? Should I marinate them overnight in anything? How long does it take to cook them? I have crumbed fish b4 but that is a bit tough as we will be on a 'pincic facilities' BBQ!

Thanks for any help!!

Re: Cooking fish on the BBQ

It's a good fish to bbq. I like to keep it simple on the barbie- a little oil on the hot plate. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and squeeze of lemon juice as it cooks. Depending on the fillets no more that a couple of minutes each side should do it. Don't over cook it because fish keeps cooking after you take it off the heat. A side of salad and some tartare and you got yourself a nice lunch.

Enjoy.
    Bring Out Another Thousand tragic

Greenie there's a recipe section on the forum with lots of ideas. The mods will probably wack this there.

Sleepygreg the resident Master Chef should be along shortly with some hot tips.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

if its fresh keep it simple.

dust in a bit of flour mixed with some lemon pepper.
    then straight on the bbq with some butter (real butter).

don't over cook it, flesh needs to be just white in the middle. size of fillets will determin cooking time.

good luck

Seeing it's a public BBQ why not wrap them with some lemon and butter and chilli's and ginger and any other thing thing that takes your fancy and roll them up in alfoil and slap that on the BBQ for a little while??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks for the kind words Steeler....I am anything BUT a Masterchef.

As other have said. Keep it simple. For a picnic style bbq, where you are using unfamiliar (read council BBQ's) equipment dont get to fancy.

Flathead is a great fish for this.

methods already mentioned are just fine.

you can go the 'wrap it in foil with your favourite herbs and spices....or just a sprinkle of lemon juice and salt and pepper'. Or just dust it in flour and drizzle a bit of oil on the hotplate then cook it.

Or be a little adventurous and drizzle some oil on the hotplate, then put the fillets on and squeeze a bit of lemon over it while its cooking...you should also sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it as well....it brings out the flavours of the fish. I tend to splash some light soy over it also...then chop some shallots up to sprinkle over when serving. Dont overpower it with too many ingredients or condiments.

I remember a party i threw many years ago when I was living in melbourne. Back in the days when I was mucking around in a band, and I decided to turn the lounge room in the unit I was in to a stage......and the outdoor area/carpark into a dance floor/auditorium. Had all the hangers on get stuck into providing various foods for the event. One of my mates went fishing earlier that day and caught a heap of flathead and turned up at the party with a esky full of flathead fillets. All the others gave him sh$t for being a ######...as the deal was to bring something to help feed the masses.

Well...........I got out the old stainless steel bowl, chucked some flour in it, and pinch of salt and black pepper, a couple of pinches of Keens curry powder, dusted the flathead fillets (cut up into 6 inch - 150mm portions) in it, then whacked em on the bbq plate...................turned out to be the most popular of the many offerings of the night.

a very versatile offering...just keep it simple.

And DONT marinate it overnight in anything.

PS. NEVER use spray oil on these bbq's with fish....you will get a detergent like foam over everything (unless it is top quality oil)

I knew as soon as you saw the word cooking you would be in for a penny in for a pound.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

LOL - thanks mate....just couldnt help myself. always willing to pass on any hints or tips I have learnt over way too many years of trying to keep meals simple and tasty. And I have learnt heaps from others contributions on Ausfish also. This is one of my favourite forums on Ausfish.

I wish I could join in with some cooking tips but I would be exhausted from running upstairs to ask the wife for the tips first.

Greg, maybe you should get her a 'nic' on Ausfish and let her contribute to this section.....the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Greg, maybe you should get her a 'nic' on Ausfish and let her contribute to this section.....the more the merrier.
    she is already registered on here but thankfully rarely posts..only brings me grief when she does..she only logs ot pay out on me.

Quote Originally Posted by robfin View Post
    It's a good fish to bbq. I like to keep it simple on the barbie- a little oil on the hot plate. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and squeeze of lemon juice as it cooks. Depending on the fillets no more that a couple of minutes each side should do it. Don't over cook it because fish keeps cooking after you take it off the heat. A side of salad and some tartare and you got yourself a nice lunch.

Enjoy.
    I do the same but with butter, a bit of lemon juice at the start, some more mid-cook then some over the fish when serving. If you tend to burn the butter to quickly then mix a little olive oil with the butter to prevent burning.

If you like serve with wasabi-mayonaisse or garlic aoili...both are easy to make, the lazy wasabi-mayo is just mixing the two together to find a nice blend and add some fresh basil or dill if you have some then season to taste. yum.

if there is one tip that is important when BBQing fish it is that the plate must be CLEAN, and I mean clean, as in washed, any fish/seafood cooked on a BBQ that has sausage/steak grease and crap on it will not come out 100%, so do yourself a favor, and wash the plate thoroughly before cooking, or use some foil, never been a fan of hearbs and spices or marinades for good quality fresh fish/seafood, keep it plain and simple, oh and did I mention the plate must be clean?

A good way to clean the plate is take a lemon with you, get the plate hot then cut the lemon in half and wipe the plate down with the two lemon halves, best bbq plate cleaner ever! You will be amazed at how much gunk you can get off.

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies