Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: splicing metal eyelt into end of anchor rope

splicing metal eyelt into end of anchor rope

Can anyone pass on a link showing how to splice a metal eyelet into the end of my anchor rope?

Seems to be many links to splicing a loop - but none show how to do it to hold a metal eyelet.

Cheers!

Re: splicing metal eyelt into end of anchor rope

I would practice without a loop first. Get some crap rope and do a few splices. Its hard to get a tight wrap around thimble so that it wont come loose.

The splice to which you refer is exactly as you found on the web.It is purely an end loop.However pull the line around the thimble and for the first three strands make sure you pull them up tight around the thimble.But as already suggested make sure you can make a normal loop first.
    When youve done a few you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
    Heavy lines of 25mm or bigger require some muscle and are not so easy.
    Have fun

I would practice, but I've got to get the anchor sorted for tomorrow MAbye I should give up on the idea of having a spliced eyelet (is it correctly referred to as a thimble?).

Would tying the rope to the chain with a bowline suffice for one day?

You will get away with a bowline for a day but I wouldnt trust it for much longer particularly if youre anchored for a lengthy period.If there is a fair amount of water movement the line can wear through in a surprisingly short space of time.
    Where are you located?????

Thinking about this a bit further I think it would be better if you tied the rope to a D shackle with a clove hitch,(and a lock knot), such that the line was tight on the shackle,then attach the shackle to the chain,this will avoid any movement of the line against metal as with a loose knot like a bowline.This will last for ages.
    And yes the metal ring IS called a thimble.

The trick to splicing the thimble in tight is to wrap the rope around it and mark it,then start your splice with the thimble removed but start your first few tucks before your markings.........then open up the loop you have started to create and put your thimble in and pull your tucks up tight and continue your splice as normal.It's near on impossible to get it tight otherwise.

Cheers Dan.

Yup, as Dan says.

You can get away with no thimble for a day. Only reason its needed is to stop the rope getting chaffed by the chain/shackle.

As all the boys have said.

I actually find splicing relaxing...LOL
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Me too Heath.. often sit down while out camping, grab a beer and a seat and tidy up my ropes..

maybe check Youtube for some instructional videos.. theres just about everything on there

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Yes - the tied rope alternative is just for one day.

Albey - I'm in Bundy, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    The trick to splicing the thimble in tight is to wrap the rope around it and mark it,then start your splice with the thimble removed but start your first few tucks before your markings.........then open up the loop you have started to create and put your thimble in and pull your tucks up tight and continue your splice as normal.It's near on impossible to get it tight otherwise.

Cheers Dan.
    what dan5 said is exactly correct, you will also find the using a splicing fid will make life a lot easier to get a wrap, as trying to separate the stands and feeding the bitter ends through will be difficult. you can normally buy fids for under $20 at most bias or whitworths stores. If you do a lot of splicing then it will be invaluable.

depending on the quality of the rope I would also wet and pre stretch it first as you may well get a tight wrap around the thimble, connect upo to the anchor and after it stretches a bit, the thimble will become loose and fallout

hope this helps
    "Live Life"

One trick I was taught as a teenager for getting a tight splice was after every couple of tucks to pull the tags tight and then roll the splice back and forward through your hands as hard as you can.
    Not sure what a splicing fid is but is it the same idea as wrapping electrical tape around the ends or melting them to stop them unraveling?

In older times of tall ships it was normal to "bend" the anchor rope onto the anchor......they tied one of a couple of "bends" ( knots) onto the anchor loop and whiped or served the tag end back onto the main line.

BUT

It would be better just to splice into the end of your chain........as long as you are not anchoring long term and you regularly inspect your join there should be no problem.

Lots of boats have the anchor rope directly spliced onto the chain.....if ya want it to go thu some anchor winches you have no choice.

There are some funky weaves that put the rope thru the first 2,3 or 4 chain links before being spliced.....but a straight splice into the first link of chain will be fine in the short term particular if that link is nice ans smooth and free of burs & such.

As fas as splicing the eye......Oh yeh.....no matter how you are shown..the first one wont be right....practice only practice will get it to work for you.

BTW I always bind the ends of the strands when splicing synthetic rope....it make life soo much easier...insu tape will do the job... cut it off later.....remember 6 tucks for synthetic rope.

OH yeh..... tht thimble ( eye) must be the right size if you want any hope of it comming up properly......the rope should be a neat fit in the grove.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.