Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Mackerel spin gear

Your Mackerel spin gear

I'm interested in recommendations for a spin reel for casting metal slugs for mackies. I've heard I need around 6.1 retrieve ratio.
    Willdoe

Re: Your Mackerel spin gear

I use a TSS4 and has a 5.8 retreive.

the ratio does not mean too much what you need is a high line retrieve as in 1-1.22meters per handle turn.

Pflueger Arbor 40 with 15 lb braid does it for me. Cheers Winston.

I am using a penn battle 6.2:1 retrieve rate imported from the U.S ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

For a great many years my main weapon for Spotties was the old faithfull TSS4 and I would burn 25gm-45gm slugs around the schools. Now I use a 3000 or 4000 Stradic and use much smaller lures in the 10gm - 20gm range. These lures cant take the max speed but still catch fish.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

TSS4 is mine i have a variety of slug sizes

Mike

i use a daiwa exceler oceano 4500 for big slugs/spoons and a shimano navi 4000 for smaller slugs/spoons. happy with both

TSS4 for me & my young bloke uses a TSS3
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Daiwa Saltist 4500

If you are looking for a cheaper outfit, try a Sahara rod and reel combo from Shimano. They have really picked up their game in the mid-range reels and I find their 6-8kg rod with the 4000 size reel a perfect combo for this type of work and it only cost around the $240 mark.

I actually bought it because i didn't have any two piece rods and needed something i could take on the plane and have found it to be a very versatile combo. Just caught a metre long barra on it up at Tinaroo trolling a barra classic lure, handled the job with no problem. It has also caught numerous schoolies and the odd smaller (~1m) spanish and hasn't had any problems.

It's not in the same class as Loomis's and stradics but it's very good value for money considering the price..

cheers

Richard

Oh, forgot to state for the 4000 size model, 5.7:1 retrieve ratio, 37 inches per crank.. plenty fast enough for any mack species and to get a metal slice skipping along the surface (I usually slow it down a bit for tuna)

Daiwa Emblem Pro, for both Mac & Tuna. 1.2m per crank !

Mark

Shimano Stella 5000SW. A lot of coin for a reel but it is snow my general purpose real used for everything from Spinning to heavier soft plastics and even inshore jack fishing/ 6.2:1 ratio
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems to be a lot that are suitable. I'll have to check them out in the tackle shops.
    Willdoe