Thread: Baitcaster.

Baitcaster.

I am after some advice .
    I recently found a Shakespeare baitcaster mated to an Ugly Stick that was my old mans and was brand new . I tried it over Christmas,however , the first cast I managed to "Birdsnest" all the line on the spool . After an hour of sorting that out I tried another cast with the same result . This was the first time I have used one or these type of reels.
    Any advise I can get would be appreciated.
    Shawn.

Re: Baitcaster.

hey shawn follow this link it gives some good advice on where to start.

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Hi Shawn,

Has the reel got any sort of cast control on the left hand side of the reel ? Any chance you can find a model number on htere at all, might help to exaplin things a little.

Another thing you should set if you are just learning is to set the spool tension so that when you take your thumb off of the spool, the lure (or use a sinker when practising) slowly goes down to the ground but the spool stops when it hits the ground. This way you'll shorten up your casting distance but it will help you get used to the casting technique. Have a look for a small knob on the right hand side of the reel, sometimes just underneath the handle. tighten this up till you get that lure just dropping down slowly.

Are you familiar with the basic technique of casting baitcasters? I guess the basics are put your thumb on the spool and click it into free-spool. For the cast, just use gentle swings of the rod at first instead of a flicking action, (sometimes it's easier to go sideways rather than over the top). As you get past about half way through your rod swing, release your thumb off of the spool but keep your thumb just hovering off the line so you can still feel it just touching the tip of your thumb. You then need to clamp down on the spool just before the lure hits the ground.

Don't try and cast a big distance to start with, even if you only get 10m thats fine. then slowly work on getting further and further. As you get more used to it, you can back off the tension on the spool which will allow you to cast further. Some reels have magnetic cast controls or weights to help reduce backlash even more.

After typing all that - I found an alright video on it here -

see how you go.. mostly all i can say is practice, practice, practice.. it takes a bit of getting used to but once you get it right and become good at it, you'll be able to put a cast within 30cm every time which is critical when fishing snags, etc..

Richard

Thanks Gents,
    Will practice a lot more now I have an idea of the correct way.
    Shawn

If it has not been used for a while give the bearings a bit of a drink
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"