Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squid rod versus conventional fishing rod?

Re: Squid rod versus conventional fishing rod?

Sorry fishboy- in actual fact you are probably right with the japanese jigs being much better for finicky squid and overall the japanese make everything better- popping gear, bream gear, and plastics as well.

I've been using a couple of Egging rods for my normal fishing. An Emeraldas Telescopic Interline threadline is an awesome rod for throwing TN60 Jackalls, and the Emeraldas 8'6" Baitcaster throws a surface frog and mighty long way for Barra.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

howdy Dale , it's Paul from bris egi club.
    some members spend craploads of bucks on rods and reels and fish no better and some do....I made my squid rod from an old 1100 ugly stick and extended it an extra metre or so with another bit of unknown rod up it's ass and it works a treat , and as for my reel it's an old eurostar rxc40 baitdrifter loaded up with 8lb mono and I use half a metre of 8lb flurocarbon leader.
    as for jigs....I have my favourite jig and a heep of others. everybody has thier own flavour of jig but the jap made ones are the best and if you know where to look for them you dont need to pay $20 a pop for them as you will in the local shops.....BUT it all boils down to knowing how to make the buggers grab that jig when things are down and not just jumping all over them.....this has taken me some time to work out....one mate calls me "the guru of manly harbour" and now people come down there looking for me before they look for squid because of what they have read on other sites that I'm a member of....but the harbours not the only place to fish for squid around the bay and there's a shitload to be had else where and in big scoals too.
    so you dont need to spend heeps of bucks on the best gear to catch squid...you just have to work out how by spending the time out there trying different things and watching what other people are doing as I fish day or night , landbased or boat and if there's a chance there may be clear enough water .....I'm out there.
    last year was a ripper of a year but with all the dirty water this year it may be a late start but I'm hoping the wter will clear up soon.
    pickers...aka...Paul