Thread: first fish on fly

first fish on fly

had my first lesson today, it was interesting.
    Managed to get the fly out there , and caught a small mullet....... small 100mm
    Does anyone just fly fish the SEQ estuaries for trevaley, jacks, bream etc.
    That's my aim..........
    randell
    Last edited by randell; 22-12-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add pic

Re: first fish on fly

Randell

Congrates on the first one. Mine was a foul hooked bony, so you are ahead of me. I don't exclusively work the estuaries and canals, but do a bit in there with the long wand. You will love it. What rod/reel did you end up with?

Steve

Hi Steve,
    My brother gave me a penn Gold Medal IMS 6890-4P graphite 9' no.8line and a Pflueger Supreme 1878 reel, and i think it's a no. 8 line.
    just looking forward to some really calm days to get a bit of practice............
    randell

nice work randell, my first was a flathead only small but a relief when you finally get something, its the wind that really gets to you when you get your casting down pat. well done.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Congratulations matey.
    Well done.

Getting a fish on a fly has got to be a lot better then getting a fly on a fish.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hey Randell ... still meaning to get to this but not as yet ... So what set up are you using for F/fishing ... ?

hi f&h
    My brother gave me a penn Gold Medal IMS 6890-4P graphite 9' no.8line and a Pflueger Supreme 1878 reel, and i think it's a no. 8 line.
    just looking forward to some really calm days to get a bit of practice............
    randell

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    had my first lesson today, it was interesting.
    Managed to get the fly out there , and caught a small mullet....... small 100mm
    Does anyone just fly fish the SEQ estuaries for trevaley, jacks, bream etc.
    That's my aim..........
    randell
    Well done Randell stick with it there is no limit to the type of fish you can catch on fly.
    COOLA

I live on the Sunshine coast too have not long taken up fly i had two lessons from gavin platz and went out in my boat and was lucky on the second cast got a mac tuna