Thread: Small 2 speeds

Small 2 speeds

Just finished servicing my lever drag reels. A very tedious job compared to my star drag reels.
    I only use my 2 lever drag reels for trolling, 2 Avets which have a very low parts count and are single speeds.
    I do a lot more bottom fishing than trolling, so the star drags get used much more.
    I have noticed there are a lot of small 2 speed lever drag reels being produced now and are being used for bottom and mid water fishing.

I sometimes wonder if anyone will produce a 2 speed star drag reel, remember the ABU 9000c? I can`t think of another. One of them with a one piece frame and a roller bearing to stop the slop would probably sell.

Re: Small 2 speeds

I have wondered if 2 speeds are worth getting. I have never used one. Do you change speeds often or do you use one gear ratio most of the time.

The reason i ask is that atm j and h tackle have a special on tyrnos 10 two speeds for $140. They had the single speed one for $99 but i missed out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    I have wondered if 2 speeds are worth getting. I have never used one. Do you change speeds often or do you use one gear ratio most of the time.

The reason i ask is that atm j and h tackle have a special on tyrnos 10 two speeds for $140. They had the single speed one for $99 but i missed out on them.
    I`m sure 2 speeds are very handy on large game fish, but don`t personally see the need for them reef fishing.
    I have boated bottom fish up to 30kg with my modified TLD Star20/40 reels. They are single speed 5:1. and are the simplest of reels to service. With a carbontex drag , you will get 20lbs of drag.
    Filled with 50 lb braid, you will be amazed what you can get to the boat.
    Sadly, they have been discontinued. I personally have a higher regard for them than my Torium.
    Those prices you quote are very cheap.
    I thought I got a bargain in Ballarat about 8 months ago where I found a new TSD 3GT for $140.
    Last edited by reggy; 16-01-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: WRONG MODEL #

Getting off track here a bit, but when I think of many of Shimano`s great workhorse reels like the TLD lever reels (1&2 speeds), TLD Stardrags, Baitrunners, TSS4, Charter Special, etc, they were all graphite bodied reels.

Light, corrosion proof, and plenty strong enough if used within reasonable limits.