Thread: Is Cania Dam open and fishing again?

Is Cania Dam open and fishing again?

Hi guys,

We have a trip planned to cania in late january and i was wondering if the road up to the dam is open again?
    How has the fishing been since the 100% level was reached?

Thanks!

Re: Is Cania Dam open and fishing again?

It was open ....But because the spillway affects the causeways on the way to the dam A storm in the hills will close it again real quick...Fishing wise.. lots of little fish... Its a massive dam now and can be quite daunting when you see it..The old quarry area produced the fish for me
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Thanks very much mate, it will be a sight to see. Were you getting your fish on plastics/blades/spinners or other?

Hey guys, thinking about a trip there in the next week or two what size is little and would a c14 1000 stradic on a 1-3 kilo rod be alright?

Hey Redone,

We went last week and had a ball. Caught 24 bass, 1 toga, 1 silver perch, 1 yellow belly and 3 spangled perch.

Biggest bass was 39cm but most were between 30-35cm.

Toga was 51cm.

Your combo should suit the bass.

cheers mate, and what lures you get them on and what type of structure did you fish?
    thanks David.

Hey Lonhro,

Where abouts did you get your fish? i was up there this week but could only manage 3 bass with the biggest going 37. Dam is huge, were you up the back? How many days were you there for?

Cheers, Dave

David and Bass Pirate,

We spent 3 days at cania and got in 5 or 6 short fishing sessions(2 or 3hrs). A tn50 jackal was the most successful lure but we caught them on some other small hard bodied lures as well. Got some in the main basin when the ski boats weren't working and also managed some more on the old wall near the canyon. We found the bass about 10 foot down in the water. Got a toga underneath an tree standing upright in the water, he swirled initially to grab a bait fish and then when we tossed a lure in he nailed it.
    I found that the bass chew slowed when it started to rain and the wind got up.
    Hope this helps guys.