Thread: 25lb mono on 5000 reel

25lb mono on 5000 reel

Just a question i got a shimano 8-10kg snapper rod with a Livius 5000 reel on it. I have a spool of 25lb mono sittin in my tackle bag, would this be too big a line to use on the reel? it does say on the specs 20lb-120yards, so 25lb would be less. Dont mind gettin 20lb if its better suited but just thought id ask since its just sittin there not doin anythin.

Cheers...Ben.

Re: 25lb mono on 5000 reel

Check out the diameters of the line instead of the poundage. Some lines are thinner than other.

Scott

Diameter and stiffness.

If it is a stiff hard line it will come off a spin reel like a spring....it would be much less of a problem on an alvey because of the much larger spool diameter.

Most of the larger diameter monos will also be hard & stiff.

If it is Platapus platinum for instance, it will be softer and about 2/3 the diameter of " standard" mono.....30Lb is about the diamter of 20lb.

What brand is this spool you have lying arround?

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

it seems pretty damn stiff. its Ryobi brand. got it from a tackle shop a few years back. funny that its ryobi could use it on the whipper snipper lol.. it doesnt have the .dia on it its been worn off but id say it would be around the .45-.50

Do yourself a favour and go get some new line...Ask the tackle shop, what the best line for the job is. Mono is cheap..

Scott

Mate spool it up on a hand caster and cough up for some new line.....if ya want to go mono..look at the platapus platinum or lo stretch.

20Lb is about the diameter as normal 15Lb..amd spools on a spin reel pretty well.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

yeh thats cool, it didnt bother me bout gettin some new stuff anyway. just thought id see if it was better being on the reel than just sittin there.

Cheers guys...Ben.