Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Knots for 60lb flurocarbon to braid

Re: Best Knots for 60lb flurocarbon to braid

Easiest or the best? Its a holden or Ford debate but my 2 cents:

Easiest for a double would be Harros quickie double and whatever your comfortable tying to that,

Easiest for no double, a Harro Knot

Best, i reckon either the FG or PR knot, great to cast with and makes doubles redundant, for the PR knot you will need a 25 buck bobbin but pretty simple to tie once you get the hang of it, I can get my head around the PR knot so thats what i do,

mike
    Tangles KFC

The Slim Beauty
    Its a great knot, and especially for casting ,because of it shape it less likely to catch the guides on casts
    Been using it for awhile now with out any problems
    Willo

FG knot is by far the best and strongest joining knot for big braid. I use it up to 140lb leader for chasing big GTs on my stella outfit and albrights and unis are to big and cumbersome and destroy your guides. The FG is the most slim line knot available for joining big leaders.

After reading many comments and recommendations, and trying heaps, I remind us all that my question was specifically about the harder 60 lb fluro leader which does not cinch up easily, Softer leader material is much easier to cinch up when tying knots. I have found that the knots which have a minimum requirement for the tough hard fluoro to twist up tight work best. The simplest for me is the is the ALBRIGHT knot . Having said that I have watched youtub and seen several versions of this knot but the one which is most suitable is the one where the leader is simply doubled back on itself and then wrapped up and back with braid. It ends up a slim knot with no cinching up necessary of the leader.
    Check this link.
    http://www.adventurebound.com.au/rev...ight_knot.html

Or this
    http://www.marinews.com/Albright-Knot-221.php

On another note I am baffled why the Slim beauty is called such as it is as lumpy as any I have seen with the bigger leader material. Also the Uni Knot is lumpy with big fluorocarbon as well.
    Not saying it wont hold, its just not slim.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Easiest or the best? Its a holden or Ford debate but my 2 cents:

Easiest for a double would be Harros quickie double and whatever your comfortable tying to that,

Easiest for no double, a Harro Knot

Best, i reckon either the FG or PR knot, great to cast with and makes doubles redundant, for the PR knot you will need a 25 buck bobbin but pretty simple to tie once you get the hang of it, I can get my head around the PR knot so thats what i do,

mike
    I checked the FG and PR knot out .
    They are great knots, but my prob is most of my fishing with heavy leader is offshore deep reef where we may need to replace leaders on any of the rods on a trip up to ten times in total or even more occasionally.

And with fish biting and other people in the boat who cant tie knots I need all the simlicity I can get.

The FG and PR are a bit complex for that. But thanks as I have never seen those before.

Cheers

Odes I am not saying the albright won't work but when you start fishing heavy there is a natral progression to learning to tie harder knots. This is all part of the fishing. The FG is by far 100 times more reliable then the albright and when you have that trophy fish on mate you will be glad you practiced it. Good practice when the wind is up

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    After reading many comments and recommendations, and trying heaps, I remind us all that my question was specifically about the harder 60 lb fluro leader which does not cinch up easily, Softer leader material is much easier to cinch up when tying knots. I have found that the knots which have a minimum requirement for the tough hard fluoro to twist up tight work best. The simplest for me is the is the ALBRIGHT knot . Having said that I have watched youtub and seen several versions of this knot but the one which is most suitable is the one where the leader is simply doubled back on itself and then wrapped up and back with braid. It ends up a slim knot with no cinching up necessary of the leader.
    Check this link.
    http://www.adventurebound.com.au/rev...ight_knot.html

Or this
    http://www.marinews.com/Albright-Knot-221.php

On another note I am baffled why the Slim beauty is called such as it is as lumpy as any I have seen with the bigger leader material. Also the Uni Knot is lumpy with big fluorocarbon as well.
    Not saying it wont hold, its just not slim.
    Cheers
    Yeh Odes20

Heres a pic of 60lb Berkly Vanish FC leader to 30lb Whiplash braid.its under Marco magnification so do be to critical of my slopy tieing of it ..LOL
    But to the naked eye it does not look lumpy ,to me anyway..LOL
    Willo

I now use an improved or locked albright. I have had no problems even when I used a standard albright. Simple, quick, reliable and unobtrusive.

You are never going to get more strength than the breaking strain of the lines you are joining.

Quote Originally Posted by devocean View Post
    Odes I am not saying the albright won't work but when you start fishing heavy there is a natral progression to learning to tie harder knots. This is all part of the fishing. The FG is by far 100 times more reliable then the albright and when you have that trophy fish on mate you will be glad you practiced it. Good practice when the wind is up
    Yep I love learning new knots, no prob there

Cant see though how the FG could be 100 times more reliable seeing the Albright is regarded by all as reliable?

I think any knot that you have to hold your mouth a certain way and stick your right toe in your left ear has no place in my fishing style. A knot that has to be done at home is not suitable for most general fishing situations. I tried various leader knots in direct pull against the Improved Albright and nothing consistently beat it. This was at a time when a couple of Albrights had slipped on me using new 65lb Whiplash.
    I think it best to use something you can tie well and quite easily and unless into some extreme application like popping BIG GTs I would look no further than an Albright or Slim Beauty
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have done some testing comparing an FG knot to a bimini/improved albirght.

using the same leader and braid......

Every time the imprved albight snapped at the knot, and everytime the FG knot snapped the leader.

Now i forget the sizes of the main line and leader that i used but the results were someting like the albright snapped at the knot at like 10kgs and the FG snapped the leader at 18kgs

Food for thought!

Like i said before FG all the way, great for casting and super strong...

Cheers Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I think any knot that you have to hold your mouth a certain way and stick your right toe in your left ear has no place in my fishing style. A knot that has to be done at home is not suitable for most general fishing situations. I tried various leader knots in direct pull against the Improved Albright and nothing consistently beat it. This was at a time when a couple of Albrights had slipped on me using new 65lb Whiplash.
    I think it best to use something you can tie well and quite easily and unless into some extreme application like popping BIG GTs I would look no further than an Albright or Slim Beauty
    So Horse is an Improved Albright one with the braid being used to lock off the initial knot.

Cheers
    John

Fg .

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    So Horse is an Improved Albright one with the braid being used to lock off the initial knot.

Cheers
    John
    You can find it if you look up the Hint & Tips tabs for the animated knots section at the top off the page. The original Albright had the tag end locked under the main line so it came out of the knot in the opposite direction.
    If anyone reckons they are getting only 50% out of an Albright connection then they are not tying it correctly.
    The biggest issues with it are not strength or bulk but the fact that the leader tag faces into the guides when casting and can clunk a bit
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Odes have you tried the Yucatan with Fluorocarbon? I reckon it will still work.
    I reckon it is far superior to the albright by a country mile and swear by it. Much quicker, much slimmer, very strong and you can slice the mono off the braid to keep the braid loop if you start getting a bit short on the leader if you like.

I gave up on the albright many years ago in favour of the Yucatan and have never looked back. Not sure if it will work with Flurocarbon but worth a shot.