Thread: Cairns Tackle?

Question Cairns Tackle?

Moving to Cairns on Friday and wanted to know what gear to get for the estuary and reef.

I fish mainly plastics and lures.

Thanks, Break
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Re: Cairns Tackle?

Might be easiest to show you the hard bodies and plastics we do well on around here and up the dam. I'll be busy this weekend as we are hitting Tinaroo but glad to catch up sometime to give you an idea of what has been working for us.

otherwise, if you want some quick advice, let me know and i'll make up a quick list..

cheers

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Might be easiest to show you the hard bodies and plastics we do well on around here and up the dam. I'll be busy this weekend as we are hitting Tinaroo but glad to catch up sometime to give you an idea of what has been working for us.

otherwise, if you want some quick advice, let me know and i'll make up a quick list..

cheers

Richard
    Thanks mate, appreciate all the advice. Just trying to get a couple of different perspectives.

I list would be handy mate!

OK, off the top of my head, here's a few I'd recommend. Anyone else feel free to add to this list or make further comments...

Flatz Ratz 2 (10+ model) - in gold (my goto lure atm) and the banana green colours
    laser pro 120 - shallow and deep versions
    rapala sxr12
    any of the Leads lures (which you might have to get up here, try Bransfords)
    B52 (middle size, 2 trebles)
    tilsan barra
    gold bomber (you have to have at least one

when you are expecting smaller fish or using lighter gear
    cultiva rippin minnow 90
    zippin ziggy (surface bait)
    ecogear sx40 (good for JP's)

plastics - personal choice really but:
    black and gold squidgy fish (80mm)
    hollowbellies or the tsunami copies (just started using these and been doing pretty well)
    berkley 5" power minnows (pumpkinseed and glow scale)
    7" gulps (nuke chook, lime tiger and blue pepper neon),
    etc, etc - could go on for ages

These are probably the lures i use 95% of the time.. I'll add to it if i think of anything else in the mean time..

cheers

richard

Oh, and if in doubt for a colour of any lure - go gold !

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Reef? 9/0 minimum hooks and use a slab of fresh caught fish (like a fusillier). Then hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Reef? 9/0 minimum hooks and use a slab of fresh caught fish (like a fusillier). Then hang on.
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu circles as then you have a chance of landing the slighly smaller stuff that you can then slab bait.

I'm half considering fishing with 4/0s or 5/0s next trip so I can get a lot more of the pickers up for slab/live bait...anyone else tried 2x4/0s ganged?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Oh, and if in doubt for a colour of any lure - go gold !
    What weight flurocarbon you use?

I actually use just Jinkai trace material mostly (so mono) and most of my fishing is with 60lb trace. I go down to 40lb for the lighter lures or if it's clearer water and even down to 20lb flurocarbon when using my lighter spin outfit.

When chasing bream, sooties and JP's in freshwater, I then go down to 10lb flurocarbon

Out on the reef, bottom bouncing I tend to use 80lb-100lb trace because the reef is very unforgiving.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu circles as then you have a chance of landing the slighly smaller stuff that you can then slab bait.

I'm half considering fishing with 4/0s or 5/0s next trip so I can get a lot more of the pickers up for slab/live bait...anyone else tried 2x4/0s ganged?
    I never cease to be amazed at the number of small fish I get on a 9/0 Circle. Even fusilliers can get these in their mouths. Had a really good session when I slabbed a 40cm moses perch the other day and the same bait caught 2 large spangled emporer, a large trout and a red throut before I had to use the other side.

My deckie used the head to see what he'd get ... you guessed it ... a shark.