Thread: New member

Hi all. Just joined the forum, time for an intro. I'm known as Scotty. I'm from Swan Reach in Victoria. Mainly fish saltwater fly with Sage Xi2s in 8+10wts. I've fished a fair bit of Aust & use a lure when I can't get in a back cast with the fly. I'm right into catch & release, but also enjoy a feed of fish. I target anything that will take a fly & am looking forward to a trip to Christmas Is. next July to catch a few bones. Lord Howe Is. is another of my haunts. Please feel free to have a chat anytime...Regards.. Scotty.

Re: New member

hi there scotty welcome to the site, i wish to ask you what sort of line your running on your 10wt ive just built a Xi2 10wt and im finding it frustraiting to cast and form a good loop with it, i can cast a whole line but cant carry a loop to the end can you tell me how you go with the Xi2s cheers chris.

Welcome Scotty. Good to see another fluff chucker here.

Steve

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome..Chris, for a start I envy your ability to be able to cast the whole fly line. I've never really had to do this as I tend to concentrate more on accuracy than distance. I use Scientific Anglers Tarpon floating or intermediate lines & occasionally a sink tip when i'm targeting Kingies on Lord Howe Is, or Barra up nth, with the 10wt. I personally try to keep all my loops as tight as possible. This tends to help my accuracy. I need the accuracy when i'm casting to snags, & I do this with the help of double hauls & water hauls. Even on short casts up to 50ft. I find the wider the loop, the less load on the rod, the less accuracy & less control I have over the cast. Some might disagree with that, but it works for me, & I welcome constructive criticism. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but if you're fishing open water & can cast the whole line. I don't see why you'd be concerned about the loop. If you can get someone to video your casts you may get a better idea of how you're approaching the subject....Regards Scotty.

Gday and Welcome Scotty...

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny