Thread: Screws or Rivets????

Question Screws or Rivets????

Hi Guys,

Just bought myself a poly yak and am about to start the task of adding all the goodies like rod holders, boxes etc. I noticed all the existing fittings are fixed with an odd looking rivet, whats the go, rivets or self tappers, any help is appreciated, Cheers, Jamie.
    My PB's - Have Photos of most of them.

Flathead - 98cm - Bait - Tweed River
    Spottie Mackerel - 105cm - Bait - Palmy Reef
    Australian Bass - 48cm - Spinnerbait - Spot X
    Yellowbelly - 48cm - Yellowbelly - Jackall - Sommerset
    Bream - 38cm - MF40 - Nerang River
    Whiting - 40cm - Bait - Nerang River
    Jack - 40cm (Pitiful I Know) - Live Bait - Coomera River
    Barra - 104cm - Storm Pro Paddle Tail - Mondy

Re: Screws or Rivets????

Probably blind rivots as they are waterproof- ish and easy to do at the factory. They often use quite big rivots to spread the load a bit . In alloy you may be able to pull them with a domestic size pop rivot gun but the larger ones you need a better quality rivot gun( get away with a few but small guns will break) or you especially with the large stainless ones.

Jump on one of teh Yak sites a ssomeone local will have a decent gun to borrow.

Screws - not enogh polly to bite into at a lot of spots and need backing and watch out for sharp points They do use very coarse thread large guage ones. Again the yak sites will tell you what is best.

mate you will be buggered after using one stainless rivot. i would go the rivots mate but try and get a hold of a neumatic rivetor if you have trouble getting one give me a yell

Thanx Guys,

My Mate's just bought an air riveter, looks like he'll be loaning it to me

If you can access the underside and get the right length rivot you can place a stainless washer and a dab of sikiflex sealant and it spreads the underside load and they will never pull out. You may be ale to go a size under as well.Stainless rivots are tough so get em right first time as they are a pain to drill out uy a box or drop by a decent boat fit out place as they will have all lengths and sizes and won't bend you over like the retail stores . Mate bought some individualy at several bucks a rivot and that is too much.

Beware different parts of yaks are different thicknesses so one rivot length may not do all spots

Some of teh blokes are plastic welding on a base plate and then screwing everything to that so they can move stuff and change gear and are only screwing into the board .

I used these ones for a ram mount for the sounder and two Scotty rod holders, used a normal rivet gun, no problems, holds everything solidly. http://kayakfishinggear.com/rivets-1...discounts.aspx

Aliminium rivits are strong enough, 3/16" , make them a bit longer, so they pull up with plenty of metal to hold, and always put a SS washer behind and a dab of sikaflex or silicon to seal it.
    If you ever wanted to remove SS rivits, they would heat up from drilling and would melt the yak and just pull through, then you would have a little to fix , plastic welding with a soldering iron....
    good luck
    randell

Coarse thread self tappers are the go definitely. If you ever have to change the rod holder, sounder or anything you can simply unscrew it. Rivets will catch on the drill, spin and burn the entire flange size of the rivet through the plastic in seconds.

For added strength using self tappers, cut a small block of poly cutting board and place that on the inside of the hull firmly when you screw the self tapper into the block, multiplies the thickness for added security. The coarser the thread the better.

If you opt for rivets, get the alloy ones with an alloy pull pin. You will not have the pins reacting with the rivet after a yr or so. You will also be a magician to find 316 SS rivets with 316 SS pull pins.
    Jack.

Don't discount the use of small threaded bolt and nylock as well. Not as flush as rivets underneath . Simple and quick. Could countersink into a small bit of polly board for a smoother finish underneath

Plastic welding ( not with a soldering iron) but with a proper gun/ sticks is great on the correct plastics.

Everything on my yak is done with SS self tapping screws. No need to drill pilot holes just drive them in slowly with a screwdriver until tight and they will never leak. As stated above, rivets will lead to a world of hurt.

Kev

Thumbs up Re: Screws or Rivets????

Thanx for all the help guys, really appreciate it, gotta love this site. Cheers, Jamie.

Use stainless bolts and nuts with an appropriately sized piece of nylon cutting board behind it to spread the load.
    You will find that self tappers will pull out after time and if you remove them they dont bite as well the 2nd time around.

Another tip keep whatever bits of plastic you cut out of your yak they come in handy for filling holes etc later.

metal threads with washer on both side..preferably larger washer underneath if you can reach the spot where you mount whatever it is.

Rubber well nuts are my prefered method of attaching anything to a kayak. Fully seals the hole shut behind it; water tight as a fishes freckle.

Any half decent kayak shop will have them.

Cheers,

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au