Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braid to spool ideas

Re: Braid to spool ideas

Yes and if you dont do your fan belt up tight it will slip and squeal like a girl too!

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    Yes and if you dont do your fan belt up tight it will slip and squeal like a girl too!
    I thought I felt a hint of sarcasm from your post. But being a fishing related forum I know fishing is for fun. So I thought I would post my style of fishing and why I think the mono works for me.
    I lure fish with a small bait caster reel, 80mtrs 50lb braid for resistance against rocks, sticks, logs etc. Line gets used up and can get down to 60mtrs before replacing so if the fish you are out there to catch can use a lot of this, so there is a need for the line not to slip with little overlap.

Scott

I have been using a braid knot designed by Peter Morse (I think) on everything from 4lb bream gear to 50lb Barra gear for the last 4 years. I have never had any slipage. Best barra so far is 118cm.
    The only time I use mono is to pack the spool up a bit when the braid gets shorter from bustoffs etc.
    Also the way that I load a reel spool is to first run the braid onto an old alvey from the original spool. Then I use the drag on the alvey to tension the braid as I wind it onto the new reel. This way the braid is evenly tensioned and tight on the spool. Make sure that the new reel is on a rod as you wind the braid off the alvey. The rod will even out the tension if the drag on the alvey is a bit rough.
    I use an alvey but you could easily use any reel you have.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

good thread (pun intended )
    i just wrap some electrical tape round the spool before i start loading the reel this gives the braid something to bite into and have never had an issue with slippage.
    nothing wrong with the mono backing esp on big drum reels as it keeps the cost down when respooling.
    cheers swano

Callop,

The exact same diagram features in Geoff Wilson's "Guide to rigging Braid, Dacron, and Gelspun Lines", only with an extra paragraph on the bottom right-hand corner of the page (but I was not gamefishing when I experienced the problem, myself).

I'm assumming you wouldnt need to put mono backing on if there was a dedicated anchor point built into the spool. i.e the little hole sometimes made into the spool for attaching line to. most spools dont have these but some of my reels have them. i cant see how it would slip if there was one of these.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    I'm assumming you wouldnt need to put mono backing on if there was a dedicated anchor point built into the spool. i.e the little hole sometimes made into the spool for attaching line to. most spools dont have these but some of my reels have them. i cant see how it would slip if there was one of these.

Cheers
    I don't bother either,some of my larger overheads have a dedicated tie off post,impossible for it to spin on that sort of setup.

Brent & Callop,

Thats the way I do it and I've never had a problem on any of my reels. It's just a uni knot with a double wrap of the spool. Been doing it this way for years now and never had any reels slip..

Brent Callop and Richard,

Thats the way I do it also. Although I will often do more than just two raps up to 6. With my Stella's I use that tape that comes with it just because they supply it but if they didn't even the super smooth spool they have I doubt would allow slippage.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.