Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refueling

Re: Refueling

Ok isn't this the final word on the issue...

If it's an approved container you can leave in situ...in context that means in the boat.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member

Part of my job involves reading and understanding Australian Standards, and this excerpt (Note)does clearly state " approved portable fuel tanks for boats may be filled in situ" HOWEVER. when you are reading anything AUS/NZS, you must always be cognisant of the fact that you just can't grab the bit that suits you and run with it. There are disclaimers in every standard that effectively tell you to read everything that is pertinent to the particular sub-topic as there may be exclusions or exceptions elsewhere in the document. Not saying this is the case in this particualr instance, just saying.
    And also, this is the minimum standard. Other entities may choose to apply higher standards, which exceed the minimum requirements , and these may be put into law. These entities can include State governments, among others. So if it's the law in Queensland , it's the law, regardless of what AUS/NZS may say on the matter. if it is used in a Code of Practice, those affected ( in this case, servo operators)by it are bound by it.
    To those who say" I've been doing this for a hundred years, never happened to me or me mates, good enough for grandad, good enough for me, what's changed, blah blah, blah"--I run into this attitude a lot in my particular field, which is High Voltage electrical. One of the highest risks is Arc Flash, where an electrical arc caused by operator error or switchgear failure causes an instantaneous plasma cloud, which can approach 20, 000 degrees C ( puts a lousy petrol fire to shame) , and the operator is facing it. I have sufficient visual evidence at my disposal to convince the most hardened sceptic of the value of following procedure and wearing the correct PPE.
    I personally fill my tote tanks in my boat , in the boat, ( fibreglass) and the operators at my local servo have never had an issue with it. I don't know of any codes of practice or legislation in WA that require their removal, glad to be informed other wise? The fact that the boat is still dripping wet, having travelled 900 metres from the ramp, would be a risk mitigating factor. ( I always fuel up on the way home, always leaving before servos are open) I have another annual scenario where I have to refuel 10 jerrycans ( ULP) in a remote town, driving in 150 k's from our remote campsite. Jerrys are on the back of a steel trayed ute, bottoms on a piece of carpet (bad corrugations) but backs against tray and all tightly tied together. I have a habit of resting one hand on the bowser and another on the jerrys before I even open a lid or the attendant ( non self service) lifts the hose, and get a nod of approval from him.

Our servo wont even let me fill Diesel Jerry Can in the back of a ute. You can throw a match into diesel and it will just go out or am I wrong about diesel?
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ranmar I agree. I cannot see any contrary statutory provisions nor advisory standards and as such the AS is probably best practice.

See also http://acapmag.com.au/home/2017/07/f...vice-stations/

Overall I am satisfied about filling plastic approved containers in boats taking the precautions I referred to above. Everyone else can please themselves.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I think an important note is to keep the nozzle touching the filling neck. As far as i know the pump nozzle is earthed to the bowser, and i like to touch the boat when filling as well