Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refueling

Re: Refueling

Quote Originally Posted by danners View Post
    ive never heard of this before

is there no way to ground the static off the fuel tank to be able to safely fill while it's in the boat? where my tank sits it's kind of awkward access to pull the whole thing out (moreso to put it back in when full), not a huge margin of gap and requires a fair deal of contortionism to angle it through

don't worry there are plenty of people who don't know, though it has been a requirement for a few years now, ever servo has a "DOs & DON'Ts" sticker on or near the pumps, you should read it first.

As for your tank, if you mounted it properly in a cradle and used a(proper fuel rated) remote filler neck it would be a lot safer and a hell of a lot easier

One thing not mentioned is the fact that filling a tank inside the boat you are also filling the boat with fuel vapours. So if you then start moving stuff creating static or switching electrics etc. you risk igniting those vapours. Same as filling drums inside a car boot or wagon, you are filling your car with vapours
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

thanks kev. the tank is in the rear corner, with a small piece of casting deck above but otherwise in the open (its an open tinny)

i'll definately look into a remove filler neck- what do you mean mounted properly in a cradle?

the reason it's a little difficult to remove is because there is a strut welded on (not even entirely sure what it's there for) which makes it a tight fit (22.5L tank)

nowhere else i can really put the fuel tank in my setup

cheers
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danners View Post
    ive never heard of this before

is there no way to ground the static off the fuel tank to be able to safely fill while it's in the boat? where my tank sits it's kind of awkward access to pull the whole thing out (moreso to put it back in when full), not a huge margin of gap and requires a fair deal of contortionism to angle it through
    One only needs to look at how aircraft refuelling is performed. The bowser and airframe are connected together via a ground wire. The trigger nozzle and fuel tank filler are then connected together with another wire. All this is done before opening the tank cap.

This may be impractical at a service station and would probably cause more concern from the console op and other customers if they see you trying to wire something to the bowser.

It only takes the vapour from one cupfull of petrol, in an enclosed space, to blow a 20ft boat to pieces (how many pieces is the question).
    Sometimes its better to look like an idiot than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Hello All,

I really must wonder about this.
    Every week there must be thousands of tanks filled and yet we don't see the burnt out hulks littering the countryside. I have been filling plastic tanks that sit in tinnys for twenty years now and never had any problems. I have siphoned petrol from the tanks to jerrys and back. No problems.
    Have the laws of physics suddenly changed ?
    How many people have actually seen a petrol tank go kaboom?
    I understand that filling a tank in the boat displaces the fumes in the boat but you would only need to tow it 1/2 a KM to blow the fumes out of an open boat, cabins may be more of an issue.
    Maybe I need to buy a flameproof suit(not asbestos, of course).

Copy and paste from the QLD boatsafe workbook

Never refill portable fuel tanks in the boat—take them
    ashore for filling and wipe off any spillage before replacing
    them aboard.

Hello All,

clearly I need to find out how to ground my tanks inside the boat.
    Any body know how to do this?
    Where to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello All,

I really must wonder about this.
    Every week there must be thousands of tanks filled and yet we don't see the burnt out hulks littering the countryside. I have been filling plastic tanks that sit in tinnys for twenty years now and never had any problems. I have siphoned petrol from the tanks to jerrys and back. No problems.
    Have the laws of physics suddenly changed ?
    How many people have actually seen a petrol tank go kaboom?
    I understand that filling a tank in the boat displaces the fumes in the boat but you would only need to tow it 1/2 a KM to blow the fumes out of an open boat, cabins may be more of an issue.
    Maybe I need to buy a flameproof suit(not asbestos, of course).

Nothing has really changed and the tank doesn't explode, it's the vapours around the tank(and you) that ignite

Most of the fires at servos don't rate a mention in the news because they are USUALLY small and quickly extinguished but I have seen plenty of the reports over the years to know it's not uncommon

Saying you've been doing it for 20 years doesn't mean it will never happen, you have just been lucky, one day the conditions will be right and you will hear the dog bark

Now with vapours in the boat, you are in the boat with ya thongs on filling the tank, you move about and your thongs rub on the carpet creating static, you put your hand near some bare part of the boat and a spark jumps from you to the boat, Dogs barks and you now have no hair

Just some info about me, I am a Tanker driver and have been for over 20 years and I take this stuff seriously, I've known some who have died from fuel fires. I did know the guy who died at Tintenbar on NY Eve also

here is just two from youtube of people filling containers in utes

Note the way he splashes more petrol around when he jumps back, imagine a Kid sitting in there watching as Kids are wanting to do

Hello Kevaclone ,
    Well put, you have the experience and training.
    I usually stand beside the boat on the concrete and lean in.
    Is my body acting as an earth?
    Is that why I am still here?
    Can anybody offer some science on how plastic tanks can be safely grounded?
    Thanks vbmenu_register("postmenu_1238910", true);

simple metal strap or wire to the ground from the tank is the easiest way. Some sites do have clip on earth straps but not many. Just a length of nice conductive cable, clip on your tank then lay on the ground, would cost about $5 i reckon....better than ending up like the guy in the video!
    Also, remember to have the nozzle touching the tank when filling...very important or the static will build up in the nozzle as you fill and then when you touch it later on the tank....well.....

if that happens to me I hope those people i nthe first video don;t come to help me..someone should have told to just put the shirts etc o nthe flames and not flap more air onto them.

I take my plastic tank out ofthe boat and take the crocs or thongs off also..earth myself to the ground first.

But then again..how many people do you see carrying gas bottles inside an enclosed vehicle..that is also illegal but many do it.

Took me a while Kev, but worked out that "Dog bark" is clearly a technical term used in the industry - WOOF. Luv it! although it's not something anyone wants to hear too often.

Interesting to see people in the video rushing to the guy's "assistance" only to fan the flames with their clothing rather than smothering them.

Good to hear from someone with authority and experience in these things.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    if that happens to me I hope those people i nthe first video don;t come to help me..someone should have told to just put the shirts etc o nthe flames and not flap more air onto them.
    I actually had a laugh at that video PH.
    Wondered if they were trying to put out the flames or were kicking shit out of the guy for putting them in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    I actually had a laugh at that video PH.
    Wondered if they were trying to put out the flames or were kicking shit out of the guy for putting them in danger
    This British guide refers to portable tabks at Ch 5 but says if being used as permanent tanks they must comply with Chapter 2...Chapter 2 notes that metal tanks and metal fillers are to be grounded. You see very large plastic tanks being sold for boats with no earth straps. I would have thought touching the bowser nozzle to the tank before opening the lid and then having the filler nozzle touching the tank filler throat at all times during the fill would be the way to go with the tank still in the boat.

Cheers

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...if42hOOHmJeQl_

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Also see here http://moellermarine.com/moeller-mar...l-tank-032512/

This is a small but permanent plastic tank. The instructions don't mention an earth rewyirement. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing