Thread: Strange broken rod query..

Strange broken rod query..

This may seem like a pretty stupid question, but over the NYE period i went for a camping/fishing trip down the south coast of NSW.
    Some of you may remember i bought a couple of the new Flueger Patriarch rods (2-4kg & 3-7kg) as mainly plastics setups.

What happened is the smaller 2-4kg rod broke around the second last eyelet area (towards the tip) while trying to direct the fish so it didn’t go under the boat.
    To me it seems very strange to break so easily. And the place where it broke, i would assume it would break closer to the middle of the rod? Also it seems very brittle (i know they are thin having being a light plastics rod etc) as while trying to figure out how the hell it broke in that area of the rod i managed to even break a second bit off just with my hands??!

I dont think i’ve mis-used the rod in anyway, and it thought it handled well on the day landing a few good sized fish. Just seems strange it broke the way it did.

I would hope that it would come under warranty as there pretty much brand new? But do rod companies warrant these types of things as ive never had any of my previous rods break at all. Even an older light fresh water rig i used for trout and occasionally used for brim and whiting etc (this rod is very light) never gave me any trouble.

Any thought on this?

Re: Strange broken rod query..

Sounds like it was high stuck (sticked?)...

Try warranty, they'll probably replace it.

I had a daiwa rod break at the but when trying to land a jack (still got the jack in the boat too, very tasty!). I Took photo's of both the rod and the fish and sent an email to daiwa. Got a response the next day saying the rod was faulty and should not fail that way and to take it back to the retailer for replacement (barra jacks at noose - gotta get a plug in!)... Took it back and got a brand new rod that is still getting used 3-4 years on.

So, if you think your not at fault, take it back. You might be surprised.

Mid way through last year I had a very similar problem with a Fleuger 5pc travel rod whilst doing the initial rigging, the tip broke in two places with almost no pressure applied.

To my surprise, BCF at Underwood were as helpful as they could possibly be, the local rep for Fleuger refused to replace the tip under warranty but BCF had another one of these rods broken on a different place and gave me the tip free of charge!

As a point of interest, the reel (also Flueger) has since failed with little use due to no confidence in its durability, the Shakespeare equivalent that i purchased four years ago amd carried by motorcycle around Australia is still going strong with the original Flueger reel !

Does anyone know if Flueger have changed their manufacturing processes or perhaps outsourced to a cheaper alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
    This may seem like a pretty stupid question, but over the NYE period i went for a camping/fishing trip down the south coast of NSW.
    Some of you may remember i bought a couple of the new Flueger Patriarch rods (2-4kg & 3-7kg) as mainly plastics setups.

What happened is the smaller 2-4kg rod broke around the second last eyelet area (towards the tip) while trying to direct the fish so it didn’t go under the boat.
    To me it seems very strange to break so easily. And the place where it broke, i would assume it would break closer to the middle of the rod? Also it seems very brittle (i know they are thin having being a light plastics rod etc) as while trying to figure out how the hell it broke in that area of the rod i managed to even break a second bit off just with my hands??!

I dont think i’ve mis-used the rod in anyway, and it thought it handled well on the day landing a few good sized fish. Just seems strange it broke the way it did.

I would hope that it would come under warranty as there pretty much brand new? But do rod companies warrant these types of things as ive never had any of my previous rods break at all. Even an older light fresh water rig i used for trout and occasionally used for brim and whiting etc (this rod is very light) never gave me any trouble.

Any thought on this?
    Hi mate,

Was it the biggest fish you caught???? what I am saying is if the blank was faulty, it should have broken on the first fish, or the biggest fish?? thats generally the case with blank faults.

I am really sorry to say I doubt they will honor warranty after you broke another bit off it. Sorry mate.

These are graphite rods. They are light and strong if used and cared for right, and yep they are brittle. Given the scenario you described I can forsee 3 things that may have happened (and have happened to me, and plenty of others here too...the more expensive they are, the easier they break too)

1. steering a fish close to the boat can create a highsticking situation..bang thats where they break generally.

2. its had a bump, something dropped on it, banging on something in travel etc which bruises the blank and creates a weak spot.

3. someone had bashed it, tested it by bending it wrong in the shop before you got it.

I used to work in tackle industry, and we had millions of stories for broken rods...and strangly it was never the anglers fault!!

Tips for getting warranty for anyone. Do what real andy did, photo with fish (if you get it)...dont touch the damaged bits at the broken piece. The reps will inspect it, and can generally tell why it broke. Its not hard after a while., and just be honest with story..often they will replace it if you tell the truth.

Tips for rod testing/care - dont bend graphite rods like you see on ugly stick commercials!!! dont test the rods bending ability yourself. there is no way you can do it without creating highsticking angles or un-natural angles...again 'snap' will happen.

What to do- run line through it like you would if fishing.......create the angle of normal fish fighting distance (tie to tree or get mate to hold line say 10 to 15 mtrs away)and load up the rod gently from there.

Hope this helps for the future mate, sorry for your loss....at least it wasnt a $400 rod....they really hurt when you break one...trust me!!

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

hi,
    Some rods use different modulous graphite in different areas for different fishing techniques.
    ie; first 200ml 55 million then back to 44 million then 55million. This gives the rod a sensitive strong tip,flexible mid section with strong butt. Sometimes this creates a weak spot where the the different modulous meet,normally the tip as it short.
    hope this helps Graham

Im pretty certain i haven’t damaged it in my travel as i put them in there soft cover and then in a pvc tube, no reel/line on of course. (They are a 1 piece rod so its also easier for me to transport like this in the car). And i am very careful to take good care of my gear before, during and after fishing.

I dont have a picture of the fish on the actual line when it broke? But i do have a few pics of a couple fish from the day.
    Id be very disappointed if they didn’t replace it under warranty.
    Ill try and track down a Flueger contact through the retailer.

Cheers for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
    Im pretty certain i haven’t damaged it in my travel as i put them in there soft cover and then in a pvc tube, no reel/line on of course. (They are a 1 piece rod so its also easier for me to transport like this in the car). And i am very careful to take good care of my gear before, during and after fishing.

I dont have a picture of the fish on the actual line when it broke? But i do have a few pics of a couple fish from the day.
    Id be very disappointed if they didn’t replace it under warranty.
    Ill try and track down a Flueger contact through the retailer.

Cheers for the help guys.
    Sounds like you did everything right mate. Good luck with the warranty. !

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Had a similar issue with a 3month old 4-6 kg graphite shimano barra rod.Was trolling a lure with no luck so I thought I d change to a different colour as i wound it in the rod broke about halfway between the 2nd and 3rd guide. Rod hadbeen well looked after but was knocked back on warranty. The reason given was they put it down to a subsurface fault caused by being hit on something even though there was signs of impact.