Thread: Advice needed

Question Advice needed

Hi All,
    Happy New Year!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the PELAGIC EXTREME BARRA XPRO 600L baitcaster reel is worth much as a barra reel? These are going on fleabay, and look OK, but I do NOT wish to waste my $$ on cr@p. The write up says good for flicking lures, however NO mention is made of a brake, magnetic or centrifugal.

There is also an 800 model, with the same specs, but a larger spool, as it can take more line, but also nothing on "ease of casting" etc.

I am wanting to get a baitcaster, but also need one that gets less overwinds than fish! As I am not sure if baitcasters and I will go together.....I dont wish to pay $500 for a Shimano etc as yet. I am after a "reasonable reel" that I would be able to master for the upcoming season.

Anyone in the know??

Thanks
    Seaking
    Fishing is NOT a matter of life and death..,.,.,.,.,.,.,
    It is WAY more important than that!!

Re: Advice needed

Mate I think it's already overpriced.....Seriously,go to a tackle shop/buy over the net get something half decent for one to two hundred and put in the hard yards and learn the art of useing a baitcaster.Something that I've always wondered about is that any of the reels that are as close as you can get to fool proof (digitaly controled Shimanos etc) are worth an absolute arm and a leg and are bought by people that are generaly very experienced and don't realy need the system (DC) to start with.

G'day Mate, Just between you, me and the gate post, I know for a fact that bait casters and I do not mix. I started with a cheapish one from from Big W and got to know the basics of casting one. the next one that I got was a Shimano that I got with a barra rod combo in Darwin. The difference between the two was like chalk and cheese. with the Shimano way out on front.

If I was to start again I would avoid the cheap models and spend the $$ and get a name brand one from the lower end of the market........ or you could just stick with a Egg beater and be done with it.
    Aussiefool
    Andrew
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Cheap but effective.. Pflueger Trion @ ######## for $49 last I looked. Worth more in pure fishing ability than reels thrice the price imo.

Dont waste your money !

If you really want to learn how to cast a baitcaster ...... bite the bullet and buy a decent one - one with a good cast control system -
    you'll be surprised at how quickly you will learn ....... which means you'll quickly want to upgrade....... Cheaper reels will hamper your learning , lead to frustrations and put you off wanting to continue.

Buying from overseas will allow you to get something decent for much less than you would think - there is plenty of options between $180-$280 that will be good to learn on ...... but best of all be good for catching barra , jacks etc for years to come

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Looks like a copy of the early abu's. I wouldn't do it !! Better of getting a second hand propper abu off ebay or better still, borrow a reel for a few trips, until you get the feel for them, I doubt you will go back the to a spinning reel for casting lures at barra.

Scott

Hi

Like Nagg said you are better off biting the bullet and spending a little extra money and getting a decent reel that will not only be easier to cast but will stand up to repeated use for species like barra and jacks etc.

You can't go wrong with Daiwa or Shimano and i would advise you to look at getting a low profile reel for ease of casting and all day use/comfort. These reels are tough and hold enough braided line for chasing even the biggest barra.

Don't hesitate to buy a good quality Shimano or Daiwa from overseas atm with the dollar so high to the US you can score some wicked deals. Look at reels like...
    Shimano Curado, Citica
    Daiwa Zillion, Advantage or Tierra

If you're budget permits grab a zillion will be less then $300 delivered or if things are a bit tighter look at the Curado's or Advantage for around $200 or less delivered