Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On Again Off Again

Re: On Again Off Again

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Good work Brian. Looking forwrad to getting out sometime this week. Any particular colour skirt pull more than others?? My mate went out down south yesterday and scored a bag of snapper x 3 on board. Same place we went that day!! So much for poor numbers eh all good fish of 2+kg too.
    Keep me posted what you plan, I was oriignally going to have 2 x crew + me but a mate could not make it - I think he is still crying after my wife posted the photo of the hoo on facebook. I might do it all again on Thursday

Scalem

you are really hardcore for making a decison to go out in the early morning... Nice Hoo's !!!
    Honestly I planned go fish in the bay yesterday, woke up early and looked out the window it was crappy... no mood or engry so I went back bed then woke up 9am Damn it turned out a great day...

Were the bay a bump ride yesterday?

happy new year to you

As I was at the wheel both times the fish screamed off while the rods were loaded up in the trolling tubes.

Congratulations nice catch yet to get my first wahoo.

If you don't mind me asking what are trolling tubes ? ( Any pics )

Cheers Byron.

Quote Originally Posted by hsv 408 View Post
    As I was at the wheel both times the fish screamed off while the rods were loaded up in the trolling tubes.

Cheers Byron.
    Good Question! I saw them on a popular saturday afternoon fishing show, but the big retailer that sponsors the show don't carry them and I could not find them anywhere - what a waste! So I had them professionally made.

The photos below should show you, but they are a means to lowering the rod tip to the water so the lures you are trolling are not likely to pop out of the water because the rod tip is pointing to the sky which is often the case in a standard rod holder. Outriggers are another option but I have never priced them. I shudder to think!
    Here it is with the rod placed into it.

The tubes are quite specialized - here is one reason - the "gimbal" at the bottom of the tube is designed for the slots in the bottom of your game rod, in my case the wilson live fibre.

There also has to be a gimbal slot done at the bottom of the tube so that when a big fish hits it, the tube does not spin in the direction of the fish. When I had the tubes made I also took the original rod holder inserts into the guys to re-do the bottom weld in the rod holder. The original "tack" welds looked dodgy and I didn't trust the strength of them. If that spins for any reason, say goodbye to your rod and reel which will immediately point to where the fish is, and the rod would definitely come out of the tube. I still tie a rope to the nearest cleat and also to the reel.

Last photo - they also put a rubber insert into the tube - to protect the rod from any damage while in the tube

Hope this is helpful.
    Cheers
    Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    you are really hardcore for making a decison to go out in the early morning... Nice Hoo's !!!
    Honestly I planned go fish in the bay yesterday, woke up early and looked out the window it was crappy... no mood or engry so I went back bed then woke up 9am Damn it turned out a great day...

Were the bay a bump ride yesterday?

happy new year to you
    Gidday Silent,

Yes it was a little rough, but the boat handled it OK. The bay was quite mild, I went across it at around 40kph which was a comfortable speed.

Cheers Byron.

I got these two for a Christmas present from the kids.

$70 each from Bias.

They are imported by SAW products and are good solid marine stainless.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post

$70 each from Bias.

12 months ago I am pretty sure I checked with Bias but they didn't know either. I paid less for both, but had they been available I would have bought them without question. Also had the original rod holders strengthened so I did very well. Thanks for the heads up for others though

Scalem

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Nice fish Brian well worth the effort.It would be to your benefit to use a lanyard attached to the rod and the other end attached to the boat at some point so you don't see the butt end disappearing into the wash.That is not a pretty sight.Well done.A mates iphone was doing some strange things in the last three days.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Your welcome scalem.

Oh and nice fish - wish I could get out there.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Good Question! I saw them on a popular saturday afternoon fishing show, but the big retailer that sponsors the show don't carry them and I could not find them anywhere - what a waste! So I had them professionally made.

The photos below should show you, but they are a means to lowering the rod tip to the water so the lures you are trolling are not likely to pop out of the water because the rod tip is pointing to the sky which is often the case in a standard rod holder. Outriggers are another option but I have never priced them. I shudder to think!
    Here it is with the rod placed into it.

The tubes are quite specialized - here is one reason - the "gimbal" at the bottom of the tube is designed for the slots in the bottom of your game rod, in my case the wilson live fibre.

There also has to be a gimbal slot done at the bottom of the tube so that when a big fish hits it, the tube does not spin in the direction of the fish. When I had the tubes made I also took the original rod holder inserts into the guys to re-do the bottom weld in the rod holder. The original "tack" welds looked dodgy and I didn't trust the strength of them. If that spins for any reason, say goodbye to your rod and reel which will immediately point to where the fish is, and the rod would definitely come out of the tube. I still tie a rope to the nearest cleat and also to the reel.

Last photo - they also put a rubber insert into the tube - to protect the rod from any damage while in the tube

Hope this is helpful.
    Cheers
    Scalem
    Thanks Scalem I have to invest in some of those for sure. I was about to ask who built them for you but i will try Bias first as i'am reasonably close to one of their stores.
    I have been trying to work out where i have seen you b4 pretty sure it was about a year ago whilst loading my boat at the boat ramp near vmr up near seaworld same boat & motor package as you.
    cheers Byron

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post

$70 each from Bias.

Thanks Trev that saves me a lot of leg work i will head into Bias this weekend & grab some.

cheers Byron

You can also pick them up from Wellseys from $69.00 to $247.00 depending on the brand. Just make sure your rod holder is very secure.
    I have always known them as rod riggers and they are great when slow trolling livies and even bottom bouncing
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks Trev that saves me a lot of leg work i will head into Bias this weekend & grab some.

cheers Byron
    No worries Byron, I got mine from Virginia store - they did say they normally keep a few on the shelf but did have to order them in when I phoned to be sure they had them in stock.

They can get them pretty quickly though (couple of days) from SAW Brisbane wholesale outlet
    Cheers

Trev

I have been trying to work out where i have seen you b4 pretty sure it was about a year ago whilst loading my boat at the boat ramp near vmr up near seaworld same boat & motor package as you.
    cheers Byron
    I think I remember, and I asked you about running in a new 115 and you said how hard you can run yours @ 5000 rpm + all day. Might have been you, but naturally when you see another Yalta there is common ground to talk about so I can't help myself and usually introduce myself.

The guys down at Yatala stainless steel fabrications made mine - I think thats' their name. Not hard to find on the western side of the highway going toward Brisbane. If you can't find the right item at Bias send me a PM and I'll dig around for the phone number.

Scalem

Gee there was once a time where a trip out that yielded such great results would have got you straight on the phone and bragging to me well before the thread was posted. What's going on? I happened to stumble across this thread a day after? Anyhow well done. Looks like you had an awesome outing and landed your first hoo. Well done. Looks like you christened the gimbal I bought you.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.