Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are plate boat pricing getting out of hand?

Are plate boat pricing getting out of hand?

Shopping about on a new Plate Boat in the 6.5m mark, just shocked on most quotes that i have received, it worked out about $13 - $16,000 per meter

Is it me ( need to outabout more ) or is it getting out of hand

Re: Are plate boat pricing getting out of hand?

Think it already happened around 6-8 years ago, the baby boomers had lots of spare cash (equity) from when the government taxation rule changes made housing just another commodity for the minority to buy and sell (pump).

Boat prices sky-rocketed during that period if memory serves (priced only at the maximum of what the market will bare), hope this has not happened again!! shouldn't have, all the easy free cash is gone.

Tipped is a relative (post GFC type) resources boom this year....one might need to get in quick even at current prices??

They're really expensive if at the end of the saga the builder goes bust and takes all your money and all you have is a bill from the bank.
    What-ever you do make sure your safe if this happens by means of contract clauses.
    Assume nothing but the worse case scenario can happen.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Those figures would also be indicative of the level of boat you are after.
    If you opt for all bells and buzzers the man hours involved will be awfully high, but if you opt for serviceable basic configuration those hours would not be generated.
    I think you need to have a clear concise and detailed list of things on paper to hand over to get a decent quote.

I gave up building new concrete agitators for the big trucks on the road, because fitment could go quickly or remarkably difficult and cost you money, depending on the trucks the client supplies. The variables in the trucks were enough not to continue with that line of product.
    Jack.

Try Performance plate boats at Brendale mate, you will get a lot of boat for less money than that.

Hi Matt, thanks for the Boatbuilder tip, i will speak with the guys soon

I know back in 2002 my Fisher 480 side console was about the same price as a 475 Quinny Topender. I kid you not on it's first trip I met a bloke with one and we compared prices. Mine was actually slightly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by maimai View Post
    Hi Matt, thanks for the Boatbuilder tip, i will speak with the guys soon
    My boat should be finished shortly, though only a baby at 5 1/2m, I am really happy with it so far, I can give you details if you like. I think they are on holidays until sometime next week, tell him Matt sent ya
    I think 07 3889 9234 is the phone number, I only have his mobile number.

Good luck with what ever you go with, I wish I had the finances to go to a 6.5, I am very jealous!

They certainly are.

$100+K new replacement value for my boat.

http://www.leisure-marine.com.au/vie...wUsed=NewBoats

$20K when I fitted my 150 last year and what is a trailer? $4500-5000? What is the rest paying for?

Yet on the secondhand market I am barely getting a nibble on mine at nearly half that price with an 11month old motor.

a. pay cheap and take the chance the builder will take off at some stage and you have a very expensive and stressful lesson to heed or you end up with more time getting niggles fixed than on the water

b. pay dear and go with a well known and long term builder with quality and integrity you feel you can trust?

I guess option a is always going to be there though isn't it?..... I'm probably going to go a poly on my next boat
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Try morris marine has one on ebay [5`45] for about 18000

Quote Originally Posted by goat boy View Post
    a. pay cheap and take the chance the builder will take off at some stage and you have a very expensive and stressful lesson to heed or you end up with more time getting niggles fixed than on the water

b. pay dear and go with a well known and long term builder with quality and integrity you feel you can trust?

I guess option a is always going to be there though isn't it?..... I'm probably going to go a poly on my next boat

Fair enough goat boy but which is which? Who are the long term quality builders we can trust? Look through these boards over the last couple of years and it has been absoloute carnage for some long term builders and dealers.

Rob

no wonder Yaks have taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by sea-rash View Post
    Who are the long term quality builders we can trust? Look through these boards over the last couple of years and it has been absoloute carnage for some long term builders and dealers.

Rob
    That would be the $64,000 question....literally.
    If I was in the market the contract would have to be pretty damned good to safe guard myself against the builder running away to South America with my hard earned cash.
    It's getting to the point where I'd want to see the boat finished and then hand over the money.
    When I say finished I'm talking finished to the basic hull complete ready to bung a motor on it or ready to put some custom features onto it.
    Something you can tow away if/when you want.

Why should the consumer be the bank for the builder's??
    Generally speaking the buyer has to get money from the bank so why can't the builder get the money from the bank??
    If their product and business sense is any good they should be able to get an overdraft to build a few boats and if their product is good enough then it should not be a problem to sell them if one buyer pulls out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    no wonder Yaks have taken off.
    Even the price of those little suckers is over the top I reckon.
    They're only wheely bins in reality....just a different shape.