Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Line Roller bearings (Daiwa)

Re: Line Roller bearings (Daiwa)

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I do something similar to the above - except I just pack them with blue Daiwa grease. Squeeze it in with your fingers and wipe off any excess. This stops the water getting into the bearing, and they should last for 3-4 years or more. These bearings run fine with grease as they are load bearing - they simply need to rotate when the line is loaded.
    Great idea. I am going to try Evinrude blue grease that I use in my non spool bearings on my overheads.

Another option is convert your daiwa Sol's etc... to the Caldia Kix bushing. I have had a lot of bearing problems as fore mentioned but my Caldia Kix works fine with just a bushing on the line roller.

Very interesting reading this thread, several months ago i bought a sol 2000 and filled it with 1.5 kg braid, the line roller bearing went after the first trip, the guys where i bought it replaced it but i was fuming that after spending so much on a reel that the bearing had failed and yes i look after my gear, never had same problem with a shimano..

It's just a poor design that Daiwa seem unwilling to change. Even my low end Pfluegers have had decent rollers (and screw in handles too, something you have to pay $300+ for to get in a Daiwa)... When my Steez line roller goes I'll either upgrade the bearing or put a bush in it.

Yep I have a certate 2500 and have the exact same problem. Reel gets a wash and spray with tackle guard after each outing. Haven't had any such issues with the other reels I own. Have tried to remove the bearing myself but found it a bit tricky. Will take it down to fishhead and get them to change it. Even though I live on the northside I would rather travel to them. Have been very disappointed with the reel services completed by a high end tackle store on the northside which has recently moved to a new premises. I'm sure you know the one.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Yep I have a certate 2500 and have the exact same problem. Reel gets a wash and spray with tackle guard after each outing. Haven't had any such issues with the other reels I own. Have tried to remove the bearing myself but found it a bit tricky. Will take it down to fishhead and get them to change it. Even though I live on the northside I would rather travel to them. Have been very disappointed with the reel services completed by a high end tackle store on the northside which has recently moved to a new premises. I'm sure you know the one.
    Hi oneday, can you give me the location of the place where you get your reels serviced?, i on the northside and have just had a incident with local that will stop me going back..cheers