Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 189
  1. #31

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    so does everyone andy, therein lies the problem.. no good complaining about midnights unscientific data as midnight isn't planning on taking your boat off the water and/or slapping you with a permit fee for the privelage

    speculation is as speculation does, but what everyone wants is real data before any further restrictions and the people capable of implementing the collection of said data are not the ones posting a protest in here

    cheers
    Dan

  2. #32

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    The biomass is 43% now andy. The shares went up last week when a boatload of asylum seeking snapper landed on the border. the weather has prevented them from being fished since and it is expected the biomass will continue to grow/

    references...
    Comments on stock statusThis is a shared stock with New South Wales; South East Queensland is considered the most northern limit of the speciesī major distribution.

  3. #33

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Andy,
    The Govt have NEVER let real scientific data get in the way of their real agenda in the management of Moreton Bay, its Islands or offshore surrounds. Why would they ??? A Uni students thesis used for the last round of Green vote grabbing MBMP Green Zones does not constitute any greater scientific data than my own observations. ( don't get me started on Dugong "go slow zones", whilst the "research" boats chase cows until they are exhausted, then capture, measure, prod, tag, stress and then release, only to have them wash up on the beach dead)

    The Snapper fishing effort from rec fish has not increased in the last 30+ years that I have fished here. Bag limits and economics have seen to that. Again, no science base to my assertion, just an observation of the number of people that actively seek and actually catch snapper that I have observed in our part of the world.

    It is all just a lead up to another tax, "Fishing Licence". Add that to the road tax you pay on the fuel you burn in your boat ( I buy my diesel from a commercial fuel wharf and pay road tax on it?????), the GST on your fishing gear and bait. Boat, trailer and vehicle rego etc etc

    Bah! I gotta go back to not caring.......

    Have a good one folks

  4. #34

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Deez View Post
    I'm sure the scientists that did the assessment stand by it or would not have put their name to it.
    Of course they will put their names to it. It is so full of assumptions, extrapolation of dubious data & reliance on other suspect work that there is heaps of wiggle room to weasel out later.

    "Later" being when these labor pricks get turfed next election.

    sellyoursoulforajob@fisheries.lying.gov.qld
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

    Regards,
    Peter


    http://www.superiorterminals.com.au

  5. #35

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Here is my take on it.....

    400,000kg of Snapper say an average size of 2.5kg, which is what I think is an average size fish in my experience = 160 000 snapper taken each year.

    Most of these fish are caught in the 6 months/ 182 days from April to September. Most recreational fisherman can only fish on weekends, total of 24 weekends in this six months. 6666 Snapper per weekend, regardless of what the weather is like, unfishable days would then compensate for those that fish during the week or fish caught outside of the main season.

    1333 Anglers per weekend bagging out on snapper between 1770 and the Gold Coast. Anyone chasing snapper north of 1770 has rocks in their head when they could go chase GOOD eating reef fish just as easily!

    So the main ramps would be 1770, Bundaberg/Bagara, Burrum Heads, Urangan, Tin Can Bay, Rainbow Beach, Noosa, Maroochy, Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Bribie Island, Scarborough, Redcliffe, Port of Brisbane, Manly, Wellington Point, Redland Bay, Biggera Waters, Labrador, Southport, Main Beach, Tallebudgera Creek, Currumbin Creek (23), lets say 25 for arguments sake, so that's 53 anglers at each ramp bagging out on snapper every weekend for 6 months of the year.

    This excludes any person fishing on charters, and pro fishing. There is no way in hell that those numbers would ever happen. And if they did no one would be whinging about the snapper stocks!!!

    Commercial operations would far exceed the take by recreational anglers. I was lucky to catch a couple of squire in Hervey Bay this year as commercial netters went and netted tonnes and tonnes of snapper from Wathumba leaving very little for the rec anglers, this has been the case for the last few years now!! I am guessing I have caught more snapper than most in the past year (40-50 total and released 30ish and majority of fish caught off the Gold Coast of all places!), so take of snapper was 4 bag outs maximum over a 12 month period. Most rec fishos would be stoked to say they bagged out on snapper 4 times in a year, most would be lucky to catch one snapper on 4 trips in a year!

    Add to this that most rec fisho's are lucky to get their boat out once a month and you start to see that these figures are nothing but BS! If the charter boats had 53 anglers at each ramp bagging out on snapper each weekend for 6 months they would have some very happy clients. Fact of the matter is the government just wants another way to help pay for their ever growing debt and/or keep their greeny mates happy!!

    If you want to catch snapper and know how and where, they are thick! Hardly over fished in my opinion! On the same basis as this Snapper joke, Red Emperor must also be way over fished, because most people hardly catch any! Or is the problem they don't know how, when, where and the techniques to catch them???

    How many snapper have you caught in the last year Andy? and you Big Deez??

    Anthony

  6. #36

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Andy,
    The Govt have NEVER let real scientific data get in the way of their real agenda in the management of Moreton Bay, its Islands or offshore surrounds. Why would they ??? A Uni students thesis used for the last round of Green vote grabbing MBMP Green Zones does not constitute any greater scientific data than my own observations. ( don't get me started on Dugong "go slow zones", whilst the "research" boats chase cows until they are exhausted, then capture, measure, prod, tag, stress and then release, only to have them wash up on the beach dead)

    The Snapper fishing effort from rec fish has not increased in the last 30+ years that I have fished here. Bag limits and economics have seen to that. Again, no science base to my assertion, just an observation of the number of people that actively seek and actually catch snapper that I have observed in our part of the world.

    It is all just a lead up to another tax, "Fishing Licence". Add that to the road tax you pay on the fuel you burn in your boat ( I buy my diesel from a commercial fuel wharf and pay road tax on it?????), the GST on your fishing gear and bait. Boat, trailer and vehicle rego etc etc

    Bah! I gotta go back to not caring.......

    Have a good one folks
    Well there you have it folks. The definite proof that there is no problem from an expert.

    I wonder how many people know how the old snapper issue came to light? Cant catch a snapper on the gold coast, whinge to fisheries, 2 studies later, wonder if the charter guys are still whining on the goldie?


  7. #37

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    No offence, but once again your point of view is less scientific than Fisheries.

    Come on people, you are all experts, I want real scientific data.
    Hey Andy, how about you prove it to all of us the Fisheries science, hit us with the science mate, to back it up as the expert

    anyone can play this silly game, it doesnt add anything to anything, just like the old Green argument of prove it to me,,,ie i dont need to say jack sh.t..but you need to prove it to me,, lol
    Tangles KFC


  8. #38

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Here is my take on it.....

    400,000kg of Snapper say an average size of 2.5kg, which is what I think is an average size fish in my experience = 160 000 snapper taken each year.

    Most of these fish are caught in the 6 months/ 182 days from April to September. Most recreational fisherman can only fish on weekends, total of 24 weekends in this six months. 6666 Snapper per weekend, regardless of what the weather is like, unfishable days would then compensate for those that fish during the week or fish caught outside of the main season.

    1333 Anglers per weekend bagging out on snapper between 1770 and the Gold Coast. Anyone chasing snapper north of 1770 has rocks in their head when they could go chase GOOD eating reef fish just as easily!

    So the main ramps would be 1770, Bundaberg/Bagara, Burrum Heads, Urangan, Tin Can Bay, Rainbow Beach, Noosa, Maroochy, Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Bribie Island, Scarborough, Redcliffe, Port of Brisbane, Manly, Wellington Point, Redland Bay, Biggera Waters, Labrador, Southport, Main Beach, Tallebudgera Creek, Currumbin Creek (23), lets say 25 for arguments sake, so that's 53 anglers at each ramp bagging out on snapper every weekend for 6 months of the year.

    This excludes any person fishing on charters, and pro fishing. There is no way in hell that those numbers would ever happen. And if they did no one would be whinging about the snapper stocks!!!

    Commercial operations would far exceed the take by recreational anglers. I was lucky to catch a couple of squire in Hervey Bay this year as commercial netters went and netted tonnes and tonnes of snapper from Wathumba leaving very little for the rec anglers, this has been the case for the last few years now!! I am guessing I have caught more snapper than most in the past year (40-50 total and released 30ish and majority of fish caught off the Gold Coast of all places!), so take of snapper was 4 bag outs maximum over a 12 month period. Most rec fishos would be stoked to say they bagged out on snapper 4 times in a year, most would be lucky to catch one snapper on 4 trips in a year!

    Add to this that most rec fisho's are lucky to get their boat out once a month and you start to see that these figures are nothing but BS! If the charter boats had 53 anglers at each ramp bagging out on snapper each weekend for 6 months they would have some very happy clients. Fact of the matter is the government just wants another way to help pay for their ever growing debt and/or keep their greeny mates happy!!

    If you want to catch snapper and know how and where, they are thick! Hardly over fished in my opinion! On the same basis as this Snapper joke, Red Emperor must also be way over fished, because most people hardly catch any! Or is the problem they don't know how, when, where and the techniques to catch them???

    How many snapper have you caught in the last year Andy? and you Big Deez??

    Anthony
    Anthony, I have caught no snapper in the last year or so, probably cause I have not been fishing in the last year. However before that, I have caught plenty, in fact best in many years in moreton bay.

    Do you beleive me?? What if i said I bagged out every trip? STill beleive me?

    So I look at you figures. They are good. Still, just some estimates you cooked up. You have no scientific data.. Yet you know more than fisheries?


  9. #39

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Hey Andy, how about you prove it to all of us the Fisheries science, hit us with the science mate, to back it up as the expert

    anyone can play this silly game, it doesnt add anything to anything, just like the old Green argument of prove it to me,,,ie i dont need to say jack sh.t..but you need to prove it to me,, lol
    Hang on a sec, so all of a sudden the tables are turned??


  10. #40

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    prove it to me the tables have turned?
    Tangles KFC


  11. #41

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    well andy as i said before it's not quite relevant asking us to provide a more scientifically sound set of figures,

    we are not the ones proposing changes and we are not the ones with the ability to set in place proper data collection methods

    it's up to those wanting change to provide the necessary evidence as opposed to the other way around.

    in my opinion trying to speculate one way or another is quite pointless, we just need a trustworthy data set that isn't obviously plagued with inaccuracies as the current one has shown to be by the independent reviews

  12. #42

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    ..............

  13. #43

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Anthony, I have caught no snapper in the last year or so, probably cause I have not been fishing in the last year. However before that, I have caught plenty, in fact best in many years in moreton bay.

    Do you beleive me?? What if i said I bagged out every trip? STill beleive me?

    So I look at you figures. They are good. Still, just some estimates you cooked up. You have no scientific data.. Yet you know more than fisheries?
    Some estimates I cooked up??? The capture amount is provided by fisheries who apparently know EXACTLY how many snapper are in the ocean and how many are caught by rec fisherman. My calculations were trying to justify how this figure could be possible.... Is it possible?? Highly unlikely!!!

    You seem to want eveyone else to prove the science, fact of the matter is Fisheries aren't even using a science, they are only using propaganda to promote a political agenda!!

    Fisheries is a governement agency and the study would have been paid for using governement funding in order to justify a political policy of the current government! Is the government going to spend millions on a scientific investigation only to have it prove that their policy is a joke? I don't think so!!

  14. #44

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    hey andy, maybe a chill pill man, getting a bit worked up there...........

  15. #45

    Re: Snapper Stocks - Another View

    Quote Originally Posted by Spot82 View Post
    Some estimates I cooked up??? The capture amount is provided by fisheries who apparently know EXACTLY how many snapper are in the ocean and how many are caught by rec fisherman. My calculations were trying to justify how this figure could be possible.... Is it possible?? Highly unlikely!!!

    You seem to want eveyone else to prove the science, fact of the matter is Fisheries aren't even using a science, they are only using propaganda to promote a political agenda!!

    Fisheries is a governement agency and the study would have been paid for using governement funding in order to justify a political policy of the current government! Is the government going to spend millions on a scientific investigation only to have it prove that their policy is a joke? I don't think so!!
    Maybe we need a change of government in order to enhance (FUND!) the people from fisheries in there chosen profession ? I believe fisheries have their hearts in the right place not the loonies (in office) providing a pitance to fund them to do there jobs ? all In My Humble Opinion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us