Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4WD - Auto vs. Manual

Re: 4WD - Auto vs. Manual

If I had been purchasing for predominantly 4wd applications, I would have chosen the manual. But, my driving will be mostly suburban and highway road driving, and towing the heavy boat from Brisbane to the Sunny Coast. Occasionally I will do some off road, mostly driving dirt roads out to properties etc, nothing more than slippery roads.

and very occasionally, I'll take it on a 4wd track.

so auto it was, and the only disadvantage is a little less fuel economy compared to the manual, and thats ok by me.

Re: 4WD - Auto vs. Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Argle View Post
    Thats the key i think "for my intended use" For me towing on the highway with a Turbo Diesel and auto - perfect! No lag from manual changes and effortless towing power

Cheers
    If you are going to do any towing get a trans cooler fitted
    my 155 Prado had the auto trans overheat light come on a couple of times while driving through the soft sand from Noosa Nth Shore to Dbl Isle Point

The Prado, while having the same engine as the Hilux does put out more power/torque, and my Prado is the SWB which weighs the same as the Hilux
    and if it overheats while just driving on sand with only passengers and nothing else it surely will when towing
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch