Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Restaurant/favourite dish there!

Best Restaurant/favourite dish there!

Just to even out the posts about a certain Piggy based joint. What is the best restaurant you have eaten at and what is your favourite dish served there?

Mine would be Tetsuya's in Sydney. I can't pick a favourite dish from the menu (there wasnt really a menu....you paid your money then copped 12 courses of the most exquisite cuisine you would ever have). not really to everyones liking.....but it was worth every bit of the $200 a head (included wines). It was a once in a lifetime experience.

First runner up would be Stephanie's when I was living in Melbourne. Had to book six months in advance (got in earlier due to a 'friend of a friend'). favourite dish was one that was based on Murray Cod............to die for. And the confit of duck as an entree was sublime.

Second runner up goes to Danny's Scarborough Beach Restaurant. Dont order off the menu.....stick to the specials board....his fusion dishes are superb. (influenced by Tetsuya Wakada....who taught him)

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Best Restaurant/favourite dish there!

Wilsons Boathouse..seafood platter..yummy.

Fuscia at Enoggerra...awesome marinara dish.

Annas at Stanthorpe...Friday night Italian buffet is awesome.

Funny you mention Tetsuya's , we had a conversation about it yesterday , sounds great...
    Haven't done much eating out with young fella , seems to be a sh!t fight and takes the edge off the meal..
    I like well cooked asian food.

Scott

oh..I almost forgot..Yatala Pies

Warwick RSL.
    All you can chew for $12.50....including desert

Actually it's pretty good honest everyday roast and 4 veg type tucker that's prepared from fresh produce not frozen crap.
    I like that style of cooking.

Other then that it's here. The cook is a pretty good cook in reality.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

When I lived in Picton (NSW) which is a small country town about 75k south of sydney, there was a restaurant there called Russell's, owner and chef was Russell Jantz (brother of the TV chef Jeff Jantz). They did a chilli and basil chicken dish that was superb. I managed to replicate it at home (the ex reckons it was identical to the bought one if not better).

Very simple.

500g Chicken mince
    3 birds eye chillis (seeded and finely chopped)
    1/2 cup of fresh chopped basil
    2 table spoons of light olive oil
    2 tablespoons of ketchap manis (heavy soy sauce)
    salt and pepper to season

in a heavy based frypan on medium heat, brown the chicken mince in the oil...making sure you break up the mince so it crumbles.
    add all the other ingredients and turn down the heat, cover and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. stirring occassionally.

Not that this is a relatively dry dish....so dont worry if there is not much liquid.

Serve over steamed rice.

Enjoy

Greg

Hobart's Ball and Chain Restaurant does amazing steak and the decor's lovely. At least it was when I was last there in 1999, on Salamanca Pl.

Hobart's Muir's Fishcafe - best seafood anywhere, Blue Eye to die for! They have their own fishing fleet. Downstairs is the market and the Fish and Chippery, go upstairs for the freshest seafood you can get.

Adelaide - Gaucho's. Only go if you eat meat. Anything else is optional. They also have an outstanding winelist.

Just North of Australia Fair on the highway I had some of the best Fish and Chips I've ever had, next to the kayak shop and two doors from the Peppertree Restaurant, today for lunch. New owners, really nice folks.

There's a little French joint in Cleveland that's lovely. Can't remember the name...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hey Tim

Did you try the Custom House Restaurant in Adelaide.... I think it was at Glenelg (memory is a bit foggy) Had some of the best KG Whiting there. Agree with you about Muirs....used to eat there when I stayed at the Salamanca Inn during my work sojourns down south.....Blue Eye is brilliant and you know its straight off the boat there.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Hey Tim

Did you try the Custom House Restaurant in Adelaide.... I think it was at Glenelg (memory is a bit foggy) Had some of the best KG Whiting there. Agree with you about Muirs....used to eat there when I stayed at the Salamanca Inn during my work sojourns down south.....Blue Eye is brilliant and you know its straight off the boat there.
    No, I never did the Custom House. Ate plenty of KGIV, but always at home!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

The only food that really springs to mind and that I always miss is the streetside satays and the like in just about any S E Asian city. Just stroll around and eat eat eat. Very simple food and ingredients but very special.

Some Tasmanian pub roasts were sensational because of the flavors of the veges. Someone said it was like going back to the seventies. My tastebuds don't remember the food from then, more like Ballarat Birtie, the local brew.

agree, upstairs at Muirs in Hobart is pretty good. downstairs can be a ratrace, but upstairs is excellent

I've had some decent dinners at Couran Cove, but the last one (rabbit) was exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    oh..I almost forgot..Yatala Pies

yum and they are only just down the road.

What suburb is the Boatshed or was that the suburb in front?
    cheers
    sandyd

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post

There's a little French joint in Cleveland that's lovely. Can't remember the name...

Cheers,

Tim

Is that the Lighthouse in Cleveland?
    cheers
    sandyd

Owen and Sandys could be good for a feed..LOL