Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Restaurant/favourite dish there!

Re: Best Restaurant/favourite dish there!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Is that the Lighthouse in Cleveland?
    The French Table, Cnr Waterloo & Middle St, next to The Little Indian Palace. 3286 9977 bookings are a must!

Different cuisine to the Lighthouse, and imo much better value, though not cheap. The food is exquisite.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Pine and Bamboo Chinese Cannon Hill.

The Peking Duck is better than any I have had in China (and thats a few). A little on the $$ side for what you get.

Another great dish there is the Picnic Chicken. Much better value and excellent.

Ad

probably the best for me ('cause it is great value and I am a tight ar$e) is a small Chinesey sort of Asian place in Wollongong, there is a row od Asian style places, and this one is always packed! the rest have 1 or 2 people, very simple, but very tastey clean fresh soups and noodles, almost all the workers go there for lunch because it is super fast and cheap, as soon as you get there, the waitress (who barely speaks English) whisks you to a table, sits you down, asks what you would like to order straight away, brings out the food before you can start to think, the second you are finished, you are tossed out to make way for the next group waiting! the best consistent food I have ever eaten by far.

Citron at windsor, twice cook crispy chicken.

I might add, there is a couple of up market Seafood places near me, and one is a very expensive place with a great view over the harbour, the place gets rave reviews, but I went there once and vow to never go there again, I had the "herb crusted Blue eye with a Kipfler potatoe bed" and when I got it, all it consisted of was a bit of mashed spud with some still frozen on the middle dodgey fish, I quizzed the Maitre' D and was told "it should be under done!" I pointed out that is was still frozen hard in the centre, and that does not constitue "under done" and would like another meal, or I was leaving, he more or less told me to p!ss off, so i did. The moral of the story is (I guess) do not place much faith in "reviews" (bit like boats I guess) and try for yourself, especially in "perceived" high class places.

Songbirds at Mt tambourine... some of the best food iv'e eaten.. oh Tetsuya is one hell of a chef.. Tony Bilson at the opera supper club was near as good as well.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

2 of my favs im lucky to have friends who own them both of them at marina mirage @main beach. 1) Cafe Marina. i always get the marinated octopus with whitebait salad. big meal and great price.
    2) Saks, I love the seafood platter there, big big plate, also their salt and pepper squid.

I would say a big steak also but usually when i go out for dinner ill get something i wouldnt always do at home.

Wilsons Boathouse at Manly. What dish?? Any of them..

totally agree Wags, been there a few times,
    Tangles KFC

What Maddac said.
    Plus the chilli prawns.
    Burns a hole in your bum as well as your wallet. ( Bloody beautiful though)
    Shawn

Greg any time you want to come over for a meal the door is opened and spare bed for you and the lovely wife.

Wags think I will have to try out Wilson's Boathouse, any place with seafood as the main ingredient has to be good. Also see we live just down the road from you.
    cheers
    sandyd

The best restaurant that I have been to - food quality , presentation , service (subtle - prompt & informative) , uniqueness ..... the whole experience - is Tetsuya's in Sydney .
    They do a degaustation menue which is over 10 courses. .... & it changes
    It's not cheap - bookings are often out to weeks & months ....... but if you ever were in Sydney and wanted to go somewhere unique - Tetsuya's is the place

One dish that stuck out was a Atlantic salmon which is oven cooked at a very low temp - with the oven door open - .... when it was served , I actually asked if it was cooked - it looked raw ....... but let me tell you , it melted in your mouth rather than broke apart -

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think I have mentioned that one before Chris........his food is to die for. Its a once in a lifetime experience....you dont order the food...it comes to you....just sit back and enjoy. Only problem is its so bloody far from Brissy. Am thinking of organising a weekend away.......maybe taking in Tetsuyas and Rockpool in the one weekend........anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    I think I have mentioned that one before Chris........his food is to die for. Its a once in a lifetime experience....you dont order the food...it comes to you....just sit back and enjoy. Only problem is its so bloody far from Brissy. Am thinking of organising a weekend away.......maybe taking in Tetsuyas and Rockpool in the one weekend........anyone interested?
    Rockpool ; Old pony tail's place (Neil Perry) ...... been there a few times - great to be able to see Neil working the kitchen ( if you sit in the front of the place.
    It's good - specially his degaustation menue but - I reckon I've been to a few places that were as good / possibly better - & more reasonably priced ........ but Rockpool would certainly be in my top 5.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

For seafood it is Barnacle Bills on the Cairns Esplanade. I've just eaten there tonight; tempura prawn entree and seafood curry for mains. The other great curry dish there is pranws Bombay. Excellent food.