Thread: want to start making lures need tips.

want to start making lures need tips.

hi guys
    I am thinking of starting to make a few lures just for playing round with but got no idea where to start.

how to do it etc etc

just after some advice to get me started , types of timber etc not using a lathe cause dont own one so what tools i should use.
    google has helped but not really i prefer to ask questions

Re: want to start making lures need tips.

Mate, do a search on here with the search function, as a while ago .. maybe a year or two the was a good thread on lure making.
    Aussiefool
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

you can use moulds or carve timber I have tried a number of ways and the best way for me was to buy them mine did some very very strange moves and not good ones

Quote Originally Posted by krazyfisher View Post
    you can use moulds or carve timber I have tried a number of ways and the best way for me was to buy them mine did some very very strange moves and not good ones
    lol i might try carve one or 2 see how they go but im starting to think its a lot more involved than i expected

hey owey, I started making a few for myself a few years ago, mostly barra type minnows, all timber
    I just used a horse rasp, cypress pine, and some really strong supa glue to hold the hook lines and the bib, for the bib just used the acrylic with no memory, so if you stuff it up just start again, file it into shape and away you go
    caught a few good ones on them to,
    you can have some fun experimenting on sizes, depths, action etc
    basically keep left side a mirror image of right side or vice versa and you shouldn't have too many problems
    good luck Mouse
    Barra, Boars, Bundy & bare arsed
    cottersfnq@yahoo.com.au

As Aussiefool said do a search on AF as there have been a few threads on the subject. You can also check out forums such as
    http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/
    They build all sorts of stuff
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I recommend starting with a simple shape before trying more intricate shapes. I've made a lot of wooden lures, started with the old Nilsmaster 4'' style then branched out to other styles from small bass lures to 6'' minnows for mackies. There is a lot of pleasure from catching something on one of your own fabrications.

Get a fullsize (side view) picture of the lure you want to make from a fishing magazine. Project the angle of the bib across the body in pen. Glue it to a piece of tin plate. Now cut out the body shape, this is your template.

I've used silky oak from old window frames that I've had stripped to size. The block of wood should be just deep and thick enough for your lure.

Place the template on the block of wood close to one edge and draw around it. I normally project a couple of points marked on the body to the opposite side of the block and use the template to mark the body on the oposite side. (You'll need a small square for this.) Also mark the angle of the bib on the block.

Cut out the the lure using a coping saw. Cut a slot for the bib along the line you scribed earlier making sure to keep it square to the body centre line. I use light guage zincanneal for bibs so a hacksaw cut is all that is needed.

Mark a centre line longitudanly along the top and under the body as a reference. Drill small holes for the towpoint and rear and centre hook.

With a sharp pocket knife or a carpet knife etc now start whitteling. Once the bulk of material is removed and you are close to final shape finish off with coarse sandpaper and finish with smooth.

Twist wire eyes for the toe point and hooks and glue in the holes with araldite.

Cut a bib out of tin plate or polycarbonate and glue in the slot previously cut.

Prime and paint. I started with oil based enamels but later changed to the spray cans of auto touchup paints for faster drying time.

To make eyes dip a large nail head in white paint and dab onto lure.
    When dry use a smaller nail and repeat with black. A bit of practice you will get it right.

Now attach hooks to the eyes and time for a test run in a swimming pool or local creek. Lures can be tuned to swim correctly by twisting the bib, it just takes a bit of thought, trial and error.

Happy luring
    Willdoe

Much faster to shape lures on an electric sanding block than with a knife.

Rob.

there is a write up (part 1 of 2) on lure making from wood in the current QFM magazine

I have been making my own bass lures from 16mm pine dowel using a rasp and a file setting up in the vice,making a fizzer and buying the propellers from Aussie fly,$7.50 for 24 props. and they have be working a treat,takes about 5-10 min to shape and some sand paper to smooth up then paint, but now for Xmas I got a black&decker power file and can shape one now in less than a minute without needing a vice ,the power file cost $99 from supercheap auto. It's the best feeling acting a fish on something you made,can't beat it.
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!