Thread: Barramundi a la what was in the larder

Barramundi a la what was in the larder

I managed to get my hands on some wild barra pieces and so when it came to cook them last night i had a bit of a play around with what i had on hand and this is what i came up with...

Ingredients
    Fish
    4 serves barra pieces, skin on
    2 small handfulls slithered almonds
    around half a pack chang's crispy noodles
    eggs
    flour

Sauce (Onion cream)
    1tbs olive oil
    1 tbs butter
    4 onions thinly slice
    50g grated parmesan
    1tbs baby capers
    1/2 cup water
    fresh herbs of your choice (i used parsley and lemon thyme because they were in the garden)

Method
    1. prepare the fish crumb by roasting the almonds in a 180 degree oven on a tray for 5-10min until they take on some colour and you can smell them. Add them to a mortar and pestle and pound them up to a fineish crumb, OK to still have a few larger bits. Add the fried noodles to the nuts and pound them up too.

2. while the nuts are roasting you can get the onion cream started by adding 1tbs olive oil to a small fry pan on medium heat followed by the onions. Want them to cook to transluscent without taking on any colour. When they start to sizzle a bit add the butter to the pan. When the onions are soft and transluscent add the the half cup of water
    and let them simmer for 15min

3. prepare the fish by getting a bit of olive oil on the skin side (i use spray can) and season with salt and pepper. dredge the flesh side only in seasoned flour and then flesh side only again in beaten egg and then lay the fish skin side down on a tray lined with baking paper. With all the fish floured and egged sprinkle the crumb mix onto the flesh of each piece making sure to give them all a good coating. Use another piece of baking paper placed on top of the fish and push down on each piece to compact the crumbs onto the fish. place tray in fridge to set up while you finish the sauce.

4. finish the sauce by pouring the onion mixture into a blender with the parmesan. I added some lemon thyme sprigs to it too. blend until creamy in texture taste for seasoning and pour back into the pan and keep warm. Keep an eye on it and if it thinckens up too much let it back down with a little water or white wine

5. cook the fish in a frying pan with olive oil skin side down. cook the pieces 3/4 way through skin side down before finishing them by flipping onto crumb side. Keep the pan moving and lift the fish up occassionaly to prevent skin and crumbs sticking too much. or prefereably used a good heavy based non-stick pan.

6. when ready to serve stir your fresh herb through the sauce i used parsley, could use dill. divide sauce between plates and serve fish skin down on top of sauce. sprinkle sauce with a few capers. i served with a lemon wedge, salad and chips. It would also go very well with roast spuds and greens like beans asparagus broccoli just blanched and finished off in a pan with butter

the onion sauce is so easy and tastes great, sweet onion flavour. you could pair it up with all sorts of meat by just changing up the herbs. Pork add sage, lamb add rosemary, beef add taragon

Re: Barramundi a la what was in the larder

MMMMMMMMMMM That sounds awesome !!!!.

Scott