Thread: Jumping Blue off Wide Caloundra!

Jumping Blue off Wide Caloundra!

Went for a fish yesterday at Wide Cal on a favourable forcast which didn't eventuate but saw one of the most amazing things I have ever seen offshore in all my time.
    I have seen some marlin free jumping quite a few times from a distance maybe one or two leaps but this fella come from 200m behind the boat jumping several times straight at me then veered off just behind the boat and passed me at eye height doing 30 mph plus and kept on jumping puting together a total of ten air times WTF....
    He missed me by at tops 20 feet and was about the length of my V-Sea tip to tail so at a guess he was an easy 100kg plus.
    Light blue on top with some faint stripes so I think it was a blue marlin but not sure.
    Anyway caught a few fish for christmas lunch for the rellies but it was a slog out and back in washing machine conditions.

Merry Christmas all!

Scoota....

Re: Jumping Blue off Wide Caloundra!

Yep you sure see some fantastic things out there - one of the benefits of fishing.

A few months back I was on Moreton island and at the north end 200m offshore saw two whales jumping one after the other. SWMBO and I counted over 67 jumps all within 30 seconds and less of each other - went for 15-20 minutes and they travelled a few kilometres in the process - a real amazing display.

Oh and nice catch there too
    Cheers

Trev

Good feed there scoota havn't fished wide caloundra in a few years now how does it seem to be fishing lately?

That marlin would have been great to see pity you didn't have it on video camera bugger.

I think that it was probably a decent sized black that you seen from what you described. Well done on the feed.

Yes, I also agree there are lots of spectacular moments at sea. Each time is different and evertime its an adventure.

That would have been awesome seeing a marlin whiz by at such great speed, adrenalin plus, just as good as having an F1-11 buzz by above the mast at sonic speed but without the noise

Cheers, Peter