Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

Took a look up the Boyne River below the Awoonga dam wall and found 1000's of dead barra scattered where ever you looked.

A good number of the barra were huge females over 1 metre in length.
    The barra are floating belly up with many either getting caught on the banks or floating down the river.

The big fish have also been spotted dead at the Lilly (the mouth of South Tree Inlet) and floating around Gladstone Harbour and Boyne/Tannum Sands beaches.

I would think the smell of rotting fish around the rivers will get rather strong in coming days and could pose a health risk.

Regards,

Barradise

Re: AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

Be interesting to find out what the cause was/is...crying shame that is...all those big females dead.

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

Lightbulb Re: AWOONGA BARRA DEAD IN THE 1000's

Maybe washing over the bloody dam wall and getting smashed has something to do with it?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

really dissapointing they didnt survive the drop, would have been interesting fishing down the river in feb

seen about 10 up at lillys today and heaps near benaraby bridge, also seen a fair few shark fins and caught 2 eels near the bridge.

also seen what appeared to be the tail of a crocodile flick away a few people seen it and someone was on the phone to croc watch, who said there has been a few sightings there of late for anyone who knows the area the creek mouth just up from under the bridge on the right hand side heading downstream is the spot it was sighted in. personally im a bit of fool who likes to write that sort of stuff off to logs etc but everyone else was very certain it was a crocodile and noticed a croc sighting sign near entry on wya out.

Disappointing but that is the short term result but the long term could be interesting.

I would expect the EPA to get its oar in here with some negative results and what will the GAWB end up doing with restocking with the results going over the wall.

I'm using my memory here but a similar event happened at Tinaroo many years ago and they had to truck away large numbers of dead barra. They ended up putting a net across the top to stop fish going over but I don't know weather it was successful or not.

hi all would the water not have enough oxygen in it from all the rain, ive read were red claw leave the water on big flood because of this, but then a lot of bass survive the over flows and water releases, what ever the cause it is a sad thing to here of there fait but hopefully a few will get to breed .

ive heard that about 50% are expected to survive does anyone know much about the truth of that and from what ive seen theres alot dead so alot must of got out for 50% to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    hi all would the water not have enough oxygen in it from all the rain,
    I expect the water would be loaded with oxygen as the dam spillway is in two stages half way down it breaks up and it is churning in the dissipater at the bottom so the water is broken up and exposed to lots of oxygen

Memory not bad after all. Page 17

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p00486aa.pdf

Saw an absolute horse under the boyne bridge yesterday afternoon as well as another beauty next to the boatramp. Also saw a few large ones scattered through the mangroves while I was taking the dog for a walk. I was hanging on to a bit of hope the other day when no dead ones had shown up but they are turning up on masse now. Not surprising though when you see what they had to contend with going over the wall.

This event would not be so much of a concern if we weren't at the start of a predicted abnormal wet season.

With Awoonga at 100% full and the weather guys predicting a good chance of recieving a cyclone or tropical low, what will become of the barra then when the lake is in full flood mode and the spillway is overflowing by 3-4 metres.

It's a bloody disgrace.

i got a picture of a one metre or so barra on the shore rotting ill post pic up in the morning when i work out how to and a mate said he saw one that looks half eaten, out benaraby way so i might pop down tommorow when im outand about and see if i cant find it.
    on the plus side but ive heard theres a few live ones of fairly big sizes been seen by people in there boats up the river

Think that where ever, you have droughts and floods, you will have river flows.
    Dams can only hold back so much, you will have some fish of all types not just barra (baitfish?) go over the wall, some will survive. This happens with lots of dams.

The stocking of dams is not an exact science, to rubbish the work put in to stock these dams is very short sighted.

The hatchery and staff do a great job stocking this dam and most of the people who fish it appreciate what they have, for no permit cost, a get a great facility.

Its marvellous how the comments come out to rubbish years of work when something natural occurs.

For me, congratulations to GAWB and the Hatchery staff for all the stocking up till now and the continued breeding program they have in place. A job well done.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.